REI Garage Sales

Posted by: scottyb

REI Garage Sales - 08/15/09 08:11 PM

I attended my 1st garage sale today. I could have got a bargain on many things that I do not need immediately but I scored big on some poles. I was about to buy a set of poles for my wife @ $89. I decided to wait until a sale. Then, I found the same pair as mine in their garage sale for $9.89. They are the REI Carbon Peaks, which retail for $120 but I paid $60 during one of their 1/2 off sales. They are not the best, but they will do fine.

There were several tents, 1/4 dome, Hubba, Mountain Hardware, that were about 75% off. If someone was flexible, they could gear up pretty inexpensively. I will be paying more attention to these garage sales in the future.
Posted by: Kieran

Re: REI Garage Sales - 08/15/09 11:12 PM

whoa! how often do these happen?
Posted by: bigfoot2

Re: REI Garage Sales - 08/16/09 10:25 AM

Many of us here used to be regulars at the REI sales, but the more you learn about light weight principles and packing, the less you will find at REI. They just don't have what you need to lighten your load. They do have some awesome deals at the scratch-n-dent sales, though. I prefer to save my money for cottage gear these days.

BF cool
Posted by: Bearpaw

Re: REI Garage Sales - 08/16/09 11:39 AM

Originally Posted By Kieran
whoa! how often do these happen?

They happen when a store has enough returned used items to make it worth having a sale. Best policy is to go to REI.com, click on "Store Locator" (next to the 1-800 # in the upper right), pick a store near you and then click on "REI Classes, Events and Presentations". Scratch and Dent Sales are usually every 3-6 months, for members only.
Posted by: leadfoot

Re: REI Garage Sales - 08/17/09 11:50 AM

Thanks, Bearpaw. I always wondered how the word got out. We are getting an REI in town, opening in November. thanks
Posted by: hockbel

Re: REI Garage Sales - 08/18/09 05:54 AM

Hi, It’s really wonderful offer that you have posted but I m unable to make deal with you because I don’t have sufficient money at this moment. So I will contact you later via PM.
Thanks for your offer!

Re: REI Garage Sales - 08/28/09 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By bigfoot2
Many of us here used to be regulars at the REI sales, but the more you learn about light weight principles and packing, the less you will find at REI. They just don't have what you need to lighten your load. They do have some awesome deals at the scratch-n-dent sales, though. I prefer to save my money for cottage gear these days.

BF cool

I totally agree with BigFoot. Plus, you have to get in line at like 7 a.m. if you want a shot at the good stuff. Show up too late and it's all gone (at least at the Denver Flagship store).