TLB question

Posted by: rootball

TLB question - 06/29/09 08:50 PM

I used to forum here - I started in early 2006. Lost my identity when the forum changed.
Did anyone else like this forum better the way it used to be? Not complaining - I still visit here sometimes, but just don't feel like doing much participating anymore.Love Rootball the artist formerly known as *%&$)&#@@ (and it aint Rumplestiltskin)
Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: TLB question - 06/29/09 08:58 PM

Just to be clear, are you referring to the old forum layout or content? I kinda liked the old format better but honestly I enjoy today's posts as much as the old ones 7 years ago. We've lost some interesting members but have also gained many more.
Posted by: rootball

Re: TLB question - 06/29/09 09:34 PM

I know a lot of work went into the new forum design, but I can't get used to it. The content is still good, but for some reason I just like the old forum design better. I guess its just me. I read a while - but then I just fade into something else or go to another forum.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: TLB question - 06/30/09 09:46 AM

I preferred the old format too; this one insulates us from the forum by a page of ads (which I have never even looked at, BTW) and is lots harder to navigate. Using the "back" button gets me back to the ad page, so I have to scroll back to the top and click on "Forums." The navigation aid at the bottom is there only part of the time. In fairness, I must add that I have a Mac, but if that's the problem, there's no excuse these days for software not being Mac-friendly. The content, though, is as good as ever.

You'll never get me off this forum until I die or the forum does!
Posted by: ringtail

Re: TLB question - 06/30/09 10:34 AM

This also is my favorite forum. The recent "tensioner" thread on BPL would have gone on for hundreds of posts about the latest and greatest tensioners. Technically accurate, but maybe not as useful as "learn the tautline hitch". At Practical Backpacking someone would have suggested using the taut-line and the post would have been deleted and they would be banned.

This Forum provides useful information. There is a difference between technically accurate and useful information. Example location:

Technically accurate = 40.26071N 105.62062W.

Useful = Near the Keyhole Shelter on Longs Peak.

Posted by: BarryP

Re: TLB question - 06/30/09 11:59 AM

This is my favorite forum.
We probably lost a lot of members by switching. It took me a while to get back on.
I do like the old format better. I so miss the ability to see posts you have not read. The present system shows you the ‘NEW’ posts until you read one of the posts and then, blam, all the ‘NEW’ signs/icons are gone.

-Barry
Posted by: finallyME

Re: TLB question - 06/30/09 03:02 PM

OM...When I want to go back, I scroll up to the top of the page and click on the navigation bar, not the "back button".
In other words, scroll to the top. There should be a "the Backcountry Forum" title block. Under the block, there is a black line with BackcountryForum.com » Forums » BACKCOUNTRY TOPICS » General Discussion » TLB question. I would then click on the words "General Discussion" to go back to that page.
Posted by: Folkalist

Re: TLB question - 07/01/09 11:41 PM

Amen, sister, er, grandmom-sister-entity-mentor! I love this place. I've learned so much here and have shared so much. Plus, I have better friends here than I do in "real" life!
Posted by: leadfoot

Re: TLB question - 07/02/09 01:30 PM

I like this format but I had trouble finding the MYOG section that used to be to the left. Too much going to this and that site for it. Then I couldn't find the portal...I got confused by the gear sites on the left and thought that was the portal.... crazy I just gave up. I was looking for Wilderness Dining.

Just a lot of busy stuff all over the site. So I just ignore it now and go to the forums.