Re: Zion & Bryce Canyon VS Grand Canyon

Posted by: MountainMinstrel

Re: Zion & Bryce Canyon VS Grand Canyon - 05/19/09 07:14 PM

My wife and I had the opportunity to go to Bryce Canyon last year. We were in the same situation as you were and had a great time driving to all of the different viewing points. We were even able to take a short hike down into the canyon. It was a very memorable day.

ken
Posted by: kevonionia

Re: Zion & Bryce Canyon VS Grand Canyon - 05/19/09 07:15 PM

When? What dates?
Posted by: BrianLe

Re: Zion & Bryce Canyon VS Grand Canyon - 05/19/09 08:26 PM

I'd go for Zion and/or Bryce. Grand Canyon is great, but to get down very far into the Canyon is a substantial committment in time (just did a 3-day backpacking trip there in March). Bryce is a climb-down-in experience too, if I recall correctly, but I don't believe it takes as much time to experience it, and it's pretty cool down in.

Zion is my favorite, I think, of all three --- climbing up to Angel's Landing is a hoot if you're not bothered by heights. You could at least get a taste of the narrows, and just getting an overall feel for that park via the bus system might give you a taste of what you want to come back for and spend more time doing on a later trip.

OTOH, just one day might be frustrating there, whereas Bryce could be experienced pretty well in just a day IMO.

Posted by: kevonionia

Re: Zion & Bryce Canyon VS Grand Canyon - 05/20/09 08:00 AM

SirMolay:

With 8-12 hours I'd still say go to the south rim of the GC, take the shuttle to the stops and view it, maybe do a short foray down one of the trails. It involves the least drive time and seeing it will certainly make you want to come back and hike in it. There'll still be lots of people there, but not as bad as mid-summer, same with the temps -- better than mid-summer, too.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Zion & Bryce Canyon VS Grand Canyon - 05/20/09 09:36 AM

Originally Posted By kevonionia
SirMolay:

With 8-12 hours I'd still say go to the south rim of the GC, take the shuttle to the stops and view it, maybe do a short foray down one of the trails. It involves the least drive time and seeing it will certainly make you want to come back and hike in it. There'll still be lots of people there, but not as bad as mid-summer, same with the temps -- better than mid-summer, too.

I'm with Kevon. I would hit the GC. I would choose the north rim instead, but maybe because I haven't actually seen the south rim, and the north rim was awesome last year (despite carrying a 30lb kid and making sure my other kids didn't fall off the narrow trail).
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Zion & Bryce Canyon VS Grand Canyon - 05/20/09 10:20 PM

I also would say Zion and Angle's Landing - it is like a mini- Half Dome Cables route. We went through Zion several years back with only a day- about enough to drive through and do Angel's landing and camp one night at a beautiful campground.

If you go to Grand Canyon you will want to go down to the river and it is frustrating not to have enough time to do this!
Posted by: Keith

Re: Zion & Bryce Canyon VS Grand Canyon - 05/20/09 10:52 PM

As someone who has spent time at GC, I'd say go for Zion. You CAN do the tourist thing and peek over the edge at GC but I think you'd get more in depth with dayhikes at the other locations.

If you go to the GC, I'd suggest South Rim. Stay away from the circus around the hotels and Bright Angel Trail. Go to the new Visitor Center and walk to Mather Point because it IS a great view. Then head out the S. Kaibab Trail to Skeleton Point. It's a good half day hike for most people. (Remember time back to the rim is about double time down the trail.)
Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: Zion & Bryce Canyon VS Grand Canyon - 05/24/09 10:39 AM

I've been to all several times, and last December my family and I visited Zion, Bryce and the GC all in one trip.

Trying to think from your POV, my vote is for Zion/Bryce. More opportunities for short day hikes and much more diverse scenery. Plus, I think the drive to get there is more scenic than the GC.

There is a free shuttle from the visitor center up Zion canyon (can't take your car even if you want to) leading to many trail heads. At the end of the road a TH leads to "The Narrows" where you can hike along the stream bed and in the water. Beautiful and very refreshing on a hot day. There are also grottos and overlooks to explore on other trails. See here.

I think you will feel rushed trying to see both parks in 8-12 hours. Personally I would just go for Zion as it's only a couple of hours out of Vegas and there is so much to see there.
Posted by: mockturtle

Re: Zion & Bryce Canyon VS Grand Canyon - 05/26/09 07:45 PM

My vote goes to Bryce & Zion, both--to me--more breathtaking and more memorable than the GC. JMHO, of course...