Re: Please Answer a Few Questions For a Project

Posted by: TomD

Re: Please Answer a Few Questions For a Project - 05/03/09 06:53 PM

This stuff sounds like it would taste awful. Also, Iodine has some potential side effects when taken over a period of time. Chlorine Dioxide compounds are already on the market for water purification.

Plus, I wouldn't necessarily want my only means of purifiying water to be flavored or spiked with anything.
Posted by: jasonklass

Re: Please Answer a Few Questions For a Project - 05/04/09 12:55 AM

I wouldn't buy it either. I want my water to taste like water--not Crystal Light. Also, from a marketing perspective, "Posiodine" is too close to "Poison-dine". You would need a better name. Tom makes a good point. Lots of people are purifying water for cooking (not just drinking) and wouldn't want flavored water for that so the application is limited. I'm not sure why you're doing market research if you're not actually planning on marketing it as you contend. Care to elaborate?
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Please Answer a Few Questions For a Project - 05/04/09 02:17 AM

Thanks to using iodine to disinfect drinking water (over 20 years ago), I developed a serious allergy. I still have the scars from the deep-seated rash (lichen planus). To this day I cannot eat seafood or anything made with iodized salt. Should I need medical tests that use radioactive iodine, I'll just have to die of whatever they're trying to diagnose. All this from only a month of using iodine for water disinfection, only on weekends.

The CDC says that iodine should be used for water disinfection only in an emergency. Iodine is also contraindicated for pregnant women, small children and those with thyroid problems (some of which may be undiagnosed). Finally, iodine is not effective against cryptosporidium, one of the potentially contaminating organisms.

Any chemical disinfection takes up to four hours (in really cold water) to work against protozoan cysts (giardia, cryptosporidium). It is generally considered that giardia, not bacteria, are the most common problem in backcountry water.

By adding flavorings to a potentially poisonous chemical, you would be liable for deaths should someone's children get hold of it.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but your class needs to do a LOT more research on your potentially harmful product!
Posted by: chaz

Re: Please Answer a Few Questions For a Project - 05/04/09 08:43 AM

All of the above!!! Danger-Danger. If you were to make the stuff I think it should be flavored like Jack Daniels. Then at least when the POISON starts taking effect you would think for a moment that it was good stuff. WRONG... Not even good in theroy. How about marketing a freeze dried salsa or something????
Posted by: zach

Re: Please Answer a Few Questions For a Project - 05/04/09 03:26 PM

Shame for the stockholders of posiodine once the FDA starts an inquiry on iodine related sickness and possible cases of death using your product.

I'd put one in my bug out bag though.