Backcountry ski boots NNN BC vs 3-pin 75mm

Posted by: mira.mikes

Backcountry ski boots NNN BC vs 3-pin 75mm - 04/13/15 08:56 AM

Hello guys wink

Just thinking to buy my first BC skis and boots.
Just can't to decide if NNN BC or 3-pin 75mm frown

I prefer to have just one pair of boots for both walking and skiing.

I would like to know which of these boots will survive some walking better?

Your experience?

best regards

mira
Posted by: TomD

Re: Backcountry ski boots NNN BC vs 3-pin 75mm - 04/15/15 06:29 PM

You may want to ask on a site for skiers. The old Telemark Tips site has been revived somewhat but someone has hijacked the domain name so you'll have to look around for the new site, not sure what it became. VFTT is a New England site with a fair number of BC skiers, there are a couple of other bc skiing sites. Not sure what you mean by walking. In my limited experience, ski boots are not for walking any further than from your car to the snow and back.
Posted by: mira.mikes

Re: Backcountry ski boots NNN BC vs 3-pin 75mm - 04/16/15 08:31 AM

thank you for answer I was searching skiers forums too.
But they do not answering my "walking" question.

Originally Posted By TomD
Not sure what you mean by walking.

I am planing to do some multi-day trip in shoulder season ... some skiing and some walking.
Would be great to have just one pair of boots - skiing boots.
Question is if metal bar of BC NNN boots will survive walking better than 3-pin 75mm duck bill?

Or other advise for such a trip?

Posted by: Paul

Re: Backcountry ski boots NNN BC vs 3-pin 75mm - 05/08/15 12:14 AM

If you really want to walk much in ski boots the best thing is going to cost you. You'd want none of those. Instead you'd want AT race boots (also referred to as Rando race boots) like this:

http://skimo.co/scarpa-alien-boots?gclid=CPPgzOaiscUCFYOTfgodqoIAhA

rigid sole but highly flexible at the ankle in walk mode, and no duckbill or toe bar to cause issues. But spendy, and you also need tech bindings which also cost.

Now, of the types you mention, your best bet for walking is a leather 3-pin boot. Flexible enough for good walking, thought the duckbill is a pain. The NNN-BC I would skip, because I think you're going to trash that toebar pretty quick.

But, all that said I think I'd get the boots you like to ski in, and carry a pair of trail running shoes for the hiking. The extra weight while you are skiing will be offset by the much greater comfort while you are hiking, IMHO.