A survival story worth reading

Posted by: TomD

A survival story worth reading - 01/30/12 03:41 AM

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/01/27/2002298/skills-love-help-lacey-woman-vancouver.html

I knew there was a reason I always carry my shovel in winter, and a stove and food. Plus a bag is a good idea.
Posted by: Dryer

Re: A survival story worth reading - 01/30/12 08:44 AM

Interesting story and interesting comments below it. Those folks ignored a few rules....like "check weather" and "file a fight plan". That shovel did come in handy, though.
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: A survival story worth reading - 01/31/12 07:05 AM

Very interesting story. Thanks for posting it!

Re: A survival story worth reading - 01/31/12 04:25 PM

Just "armchairing" their preparedness, I'd say they were about 75% there-a bag would really have helped-even if it was just one between them-they were a couple, so they wouldn't have been shy about climbing in one together. That and a stove. On VFTT, the NE site, most of them carry a full pack in winter even on day hikes since the area gets really nasty from what I read.

One of them-the woman- lost a snowshoe. I'd never thought about it, but a leash on steep ground would be a good idea, like the old ski leashes people used before brakes became common.
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: A survival story worth reading - 01/31/12 08:24 PM

<One of them-the woman- lost a snowshoe. I'd never thought about it, but a leash on steep ground would be a good idea, like the old ski leashes people used before brakes became common. >
brakes? leashes on skis can make them hit you and kill you. Leashes on iceaxes can make them hit you and kill you. However no leash means byebye to you gear. I've never seen brakes on anything but downhill skis. I was hit by an errant downhill ski before the brake thing. It can kill you as it sails through your body like a spear - perhaps this is the real reason for the insurance companies requireing brakes at downhill resorts.
heck a friend of mine dropped his canteen somewhere below the Hillary step (Everest), then lost a glove and turned around.
Jim

Re: A survival story worth reading - 01/31/12 10:50 PM

I had brakes on my bc skis, they came with the release kit. I think snowboards have leashes.

Posted by: JAK

Re: A survival story worth reading - 02/18/12 07:08 AM

I think he was very well prepared. I mean how many of us think to bring a lacey woman with us in case we get lost or stuck?