Another goofy idea

Posted by: TomD

Another goofy idea - 01/27/12 10:30 PM

http://www.gizmag.com/hive-downhill-snowshoes/21018/
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Another goofy idea - 01/28/12 07:40 PM

These might sell to day hikers in moderate terrain. goodjob Theres lots of the country thats too flat and lots thats too steep, so I'm not sure how many people would benefit from them. And generaly people who do ski effectively would prefer to be on skis in the first place and not on snowshoes. They may be more of a fun item to climb a hill and slide down.
I didn't notice how much they weigh.
Jim

Re: Another goofy idea - 01/28/12 08:16 PM

The website is pretty vague.They look a lot like TSL or MSR shoes. Did you watch the video? They aren't very big either. No idea how you would turn them. A splitboard would be better if you knew how to snowboard. The video shows people actually skiing with them, but I think ski boards would be better. Snowshoe up and ski board down if you don't want to use full on tele or AT gear with skins.

Another company is making one of those approach skis-big, wide and heavy. These snowshoes might work better than the approach skis under some conditions.
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Another goofy idea - 01/29/12 06:34 PM

Tom
It sort of depends on the terrain, and whether people are just playing on them or whether there may be some more serious use. As far as steering them, you just slide and lean into them shifting your weight and flexing your ankles and knees, like skis, as long as the snow conditions are right.

Backcountry skis and telemark skis have steel edges that will cut into ice. Backcountry skis have climbing scales under them whereas tele skis do not. BC skis do not necesarily require climbing skins but tele skis do. Snowshoes lack "EDGE" (although they may have "traction") and consequemtly will let you slip right off steep slick stuff. A SKIER CAN GO PLACES THAT A SNOW SHOER CAN ONLY DREAM ABOUT. shocked

WARNING THREAD DRIFT:
The only thing safer than skis on steep ice is crampons with an ice axe. shocked Indeed many people mountaineer on skis. The idean being that if you get into trouble on skis, you had better have crampons and an ice axe, and maybe an ice screw to anchor to while you switch from skis to crampons.
Jim grin

Re: Another goofy idea - 01/30/12 03:27 AM

That's my point. The Rainiers I had were metal edged skis and I had skins for them which I used when pulling my sled. These snowshoes would be essentially useless for anything but low angle downhilling with plenty of runout. I doubt seriously they turn worth a nickel, but I've seen people turn track skis, so you never know.