Snow-Gold Lake Plumas NF Calif

Posted by: hikerduane

Snow-Gold Lake Plumas NF Calif - 06/19/11 10:05 AM

I scouted out the area Saturday for an upcoming walk-in bp trip over the 4th with a few others, checking snow conditions etc. This area is over 90 minutes north of Lake Tahoe at 6000' in elev. The lake is over half thawed, the Gold Lake road is plowed as I rode my motorcycle to the turn off to the boat launch road and that was as far as I could go. I'll have to call the FS close to where I live to see if the road will be plowed before the 4th. Hiked into where we were/are going to stay, mostly over snow. Snow ranged from zero to 8' drifts, but not like it was getting close to melting off between the drifts. Feel sorry for the thru hikers, even when they reach here in the northern Sierra, it still will be buried in snow. Could not locate the picnic tables in the CG we are going to, they may have been removed, it may be possible for us in two weeks to camp close to the trees where snow will be melted off. We were hoping to do some fishing too.

Re: Snow-Gold Lake Plumas NF Calif - 06/28/11 08:55 AM

Was by the lake Monday on my way to NV where I work. Amazed at how much snow has melted. Three of us are still going this coming weekend. You could drive into the lake now to where the RVers park.

Re: Snow-Gold Lake Plumas NF Calif - 07/05/11 11:47 PM

Five of us made this bp trip, three went for a dayhike on Sunday after breakfast. Snow above the 6000' elevation Gold Lake along the ridge looked anywhere from 2' in few places to mostly 4'-6' in the tree wells, with one looking like 10'. The PCT trail itself was only visible in about three short areas. Nice weekend, light wind at times, few bugs, but temps overnight were 31-34F. Where we set up camp, there were enough open areas without running water that we could setup without being in a mudhole. Most of the picnic tables in the OHV campground were usable, but not all. One I could walk on as it was even with the height of the snow. Five to six boats on the lake fishing, so was pretty quiet.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Snow-Gold Lake Plumas NF Calif - 07/08/11 03:03 PM

Hi Duane, I just stumbled across your thread--thanks for the updates! I'm casting around for a 3-day BP trip next weekend (starting the 15th). What are your thoughts on the possibility of getting a decent way into the basin by then? FWIW Temps are supposed to be cooler for the next week, not blazing like earlier this week.

Cheers,

Re: Snow-Gold Lake Plumas NF Calif - 07/09/11 12:17 AM

Rick, which lakes do you plan on trying to get to? The trail up to Smith Lake looks clear, but I'm sure it will be socked in once in the trees at the top. Snow was melting back about 8" every day while we were there. One of the picnic tables on Friday night I could walk on, it was even with the snow. By Monday, it was at least 4" above the snow if that helps. At the far end of Gold Lake where the road starts uphill, it was solid there. 2'-4' there. Deer Lake was still froze, but melting. Mohawk RS is just outside of Graeagle, give them a call. 530 836-2575 (Blairsden).

Duane