What do you do when you go #2?

Posted by: skcreidc

What do you do when you go #2? - 04/12/11 02:03 PM

I was going to pose this question in the form of a Haiku, but to save space I stuck with the old outhouse cadence. OK, you are out in the snow for an overniter, or maybe 5 days. If you want to be conscientious and haul this stuff out, what is your plan of action. Because I have a dog, I have these handy blue gloves for pickup and disposal. What would be your storage choice?

sk

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or tips!
Posted by: TomD

Re: What do you do when you go #2? - 04/12/11 09:08 PM

You can use heavy duty trash bags-the kind used in trash compactors, or if in a park, they may hand out "blue bags" which are similar construction, also called wag bags. It is a bit tricky especially if you are fully dressed, but it can be done. Another reason to carry a shovel-to make yourself a latrine which you can line with the bag. If you want to get fancy, I suppose you could carry in one of those little camp toilets that like a folding chair or stool. Same principle.
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: What do you do when you go #2? - 04/13/11 12:17 PM

I did an overnite for a trial run on a few things. Used two large freezer Ziplocks, one packed inside the other as a safety precaution. The heavy duty trash compactor bags sound like a good idea too. I will look into that.

Posted by: phat

Re: What do you do when you go #2? - 04/16/11 10:47 AM

I am fortunate enough that most of the places I go in the snow are isolated enough I just leave it.. I typically burn the paper if I'm using paper - although snow works well.

Basically if I am in isolated and exposed spots, I leave it exposed. Nature and UV does a great job of getting rid of it. (and I've been back the next year and found no trace at all). I figure my #2 doesn't look a lot different than a wolf or grizzly #2. I do burn the paper because it takes a while to break down and would become an eyesore.

If I were anywhere that saw lots of visitors, at that point I'd probably be packing it out. A dozen people in a year in a spot could otherwise leave quite a turd farm..

Posted by: Paul

Re: What do you do when you go #2? - 04/29/11 01:14 AM

I don't haul it out - I wouldn't if I were in the same place in the summer, so it doesn't seem neccessary. I do make great efforts to go somewhere that will be away from any watercourse or lake, away from any summer trail, away from any spot someone might like as a campsite, and if possible somewhere nicely vegetated. The midst of a thick stand of trees is good if they are close enough together that you couldn't use it as a campsite. If I can find any bare ground, especially at the base of a tree in a good location, I'll go for that and operate as per usual.