Chinn's Lake snowshoe

Posted by: kevonionia

Chinn's Lake snowshoe - 01/13/10 03:17 PM

Did a dayhike-snowshoe this past Monday up to Chinns Lake with the CMC (Colorado Mountain Club) that I just joined. It was my first hike with them. Once you join, trips like this are free.

I'm still a year away from attempting any winter camping, and this 8-mile hike to the lake (at 11K) and back was my first test of several items, including my MSR denali classic snowshoes.

Loved 'em! Great traction, and I didn't even use the tails. Best part of the snowshoe is being with five people with ALOT more experience at winter travel than me, and listening to their advice and just observing. I recommend joining a club like this to anyone, and that's from someone who repeats ad nauseum the Twain quote of never joining an organization that would have me as a member.

Here's a two-minute slideshow of the hike (33 images):

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r33/k...mp;t=1263411289

The weather was fantastic, after so much cold for the previous month. Up there (above Idaho Springs) it was crystal clear and about 45, and MUCH warmer in the sun at the lake. I love snowshoeing and the extension of the hiking season to a year-round activity. And just being with a group of super-nice, diverse people, too.

Posted by: TomD

Re: Chinn's Lake snowshoe - 01/13/10 04:16 PM

Actually, it was Groucho Marx, not Mark Twain.

Looks like a nice trip and a good introduction to snowshoeing.
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: Chinn's Lake snowshoe - 01/14/10 12:49 AM

Great photos. That kind of terrain would have me bringing my backcountry touring sikis and skins and not my snowshoes. With their speed I'd have been skiing ahead and back to the group all the time.

I see MSR 'shoes are prevalent among your group. All MSR 'shoes are nearly bombproof. I just got a pair of 30" MSR Lightning Ascent 'shoes. They grip laterally far better than my 30" Atlas 800 series 'shoes.

BTW, if you are interested in winter camping ger "Mike and Allen's Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book". It is about 25% on skiing and the rest on winter camping. As a former Army ROTC winter survival instructor I feel this book is the best on the subject.
Posted by: kevonionia

Re: Chinn's Lake snowshoe - 07/19/10 02:45 PM

300winmag:

Thanks for that tip. I finally found "Mike and Allen's Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book" at a little community co-op bookstore in the Parkhill neighborhood of Denver for $6. It really is a funny book, but with lots of info. I've also bought some XC skis and a four-season tent (all used), so I'm slowly gettin' there. Yet another learning curve.

At that Parkhill bookstore, I also, for $2, found an ancient book called Zen and the Cross Country Skier (1976.) Looks interesting and will read when it's no longer 100F here.