Scarp1, Wind, and Snow.

Posted by: Zalman

Scarp1, Wind, and Snow. - 11/12/09 08:10 PM

Anyone ever used the Scarp1 (or Scarp2) in high winds, heavy snowfall, or "high spindrift" situations? I know its theoretically capable of handling these conditions to some degree or another, but the only report of actual heavy use I can find is a one-line blurb from Chris Townsend about how it held up once under 2-feet of snow. All other "reports" appear to reference this one original blurb.

Can anyone here add to Chris's blurb?
Posted by: bmwrider

Re: Scarp1, Wind, and Snow. - 11/12/09 09:22 PM

Wish I could help you, I will ask around at work (I sell backpacking gear) have you looked at the big agnes flycreek free standing dbl wall tent 3lbs 2oz with with all bags and poles and stakes, they have a few UL 2mans tents as well I hope this is helpful I'm not saying you would rather have one of these instead just throwing it out there. I have the fly creek and love it I'm using it this weekend.

Re: Scarp1, Wind, and Snow. - 11/13/09 12:56 PM

Thanks bmwrider, I've looked at Big Agnes tents before, they seem nice.

At the moment, I'm intrigued by the buzz around the Scarp tents, as I'm having trouble imagining the design to be as bombproof as the adjectives being employed make them sound. I think part of my reservation is about any tent or fly that hangs from its poles. It seems to me that high winds or heavy snow would put a lot of stress on the minimal fabric area at the attachment points. I'm used to a single wall tent with the poles inside, spreading the stress across the entire arc of tentwall. These are just feelings though, I'm no structural engineer.
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: Scarp1, Wind, and Snow. - 11/14/09 04:56 PM

See Franco's photos of the Scarp 1 W/ the poles BENEATH the fly. It can be done.

Eric

Re: Scarp1, Wind, and Snow. - 11/14/09 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By 300winmag
See Franco's photos of the Scarp 1 W/ the poles BENEATH the fly. It can be done.

Yes indeed Eric, it was in part Franco's modifications that set me to wondering what experience people had had with an unmodified Scarp. The eery silence it telling, this tent seems to be rather lightly tested in winter conditions.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Scarp1, Wind, and Snow. - 11/14/09 10:47 PM

The Scarp is a very recent tent, so of course it has not yet had extensive use by the general public in full winter conditions. I suggest that if you're not willing to make the trial yourself, you wait several months.
Posted by: lori

Re: Scarp1, Wind, and Snow. - 11/14/09 11:21 PM

If it was released in late 2008, there hasn't even been a winter to test it in. I bet there will be more reviews next spring after folks have been using it.

Re: Scarp1, Wind, and Snow. - 11/14/09 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
The Scarp is a very recent tent, so of course it has not yet had extensive use by the general public in full winter conditions.

Oh, that makes sense, I didn't realize it was a recent issue. I need to learn to read my blog post dates more carefully. Thanks for the info!