quick question

Posted by: bok

quick question - 11/02/09 03:34 PM

I have a 1L platypus (platy bottle) but I've never used it in cold weather, will the plastic crack if it gets cold?? if not, am I able to keep water in it and let it freeze?? it seems pretty tough like it could handle being half full and frozen. Does anyone have exp. with this??
Posted by: thecook

Re: quick question - 11/02/09 07:17 PM

For winter travel I always switch back to lexan nalgenes; the wide mouth is invaluable. At night, leave your nalgene upside down so it freezes in the bottom of the bottle. If the top freezes, you can still break the ice because of the wide mouth. I used to use the cloudy white ones in the winter but eventually killed one after multiple fillings with hot water to help keep me warm at night. The lexan ones just don't die, no matter what you do to them and for winter, I think that's worth it.
Posted by: phat

Re: quick question - 11/02/09 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By bok
I have a 1L platypus (platy bottle) but I've never used it in cold weather, will the plastic crack if it gets cold??

No..

Quote:
if not, am I able to keep water in it and let it freeze??

Yes, but realisticly, if you actually do let it freeze, it's kind of defeating the purpose - a big hunk of ice in a platy doesn't lend itself to drinking.

Quote:
it seems pretty tough like it could handle being half full and frozen. Does anyone have exp. with this??

I use my platy's in subzero all the time. if I keep them insulated and keep the mouth from freezing up they are ok.

In seriously cold conditions I switch to nalgenes because I can put *HOT* water into it without hurting it. I don't put hot water (From melting snow) into a platy..

Posted by: bok

Re: quick question - 11/02/09 09:45 PM

thanks for the advice guys, I was thinking it would be ok if I just put it in my sleeping bag with me at night, but its good to know that it won't be totally ruined if it does happen to freeze. I don't have any nalgenes but I will look into getting some.
Posted by: TomD

Re: quick question - 11/02/09 11:02 PM

I have a winterized version I bought a few years ago, but I usually just use the Nalgenes and my stainless bottle that keeps tea hot all day long.
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: quick question - 11/03/09 01:59 AM

For years of winter camping I've carried water in a
very high quality wine bota under my parka and in my sleeping bag. Always worked for me. At dinner I'd fill it with hot water and it warmed my feet in my sleeping bag.

Eric