Winter its ON!

Posted by: Bushman

Winter its ON! - 10/11/09 06:02 PM

Not sure this is the place but,
Posted by: Rick

Re: Winter its ON! - 10/11/09 08:05 PM

Yes indeed. Lots of things do. I've been reviewing my winter kit for the past week or so.

A couple of things I'd like to add and some things I need to make and / or fix.

I'd like a new set of 260 gm/m wool long johns. Very expensive. $200+ so some serious consideration is needed.

After comfortably sleeping a couple of nights last month at -6C (22F) in my Megalite with 140 gm/m wool long johns I`m quite anxious to see how low it will go with my Primaliner. Perhaps -11C (12F) or -15C (6F) with heavier long johns.

The down booties need repair - the soles have a few spots that have worn through. I should be able to fix these and get through the year.

A new fire box needs to be made as I gave my old one away last year. The old one was a little heavy at 3.3 lbs. I think I can make another one that will weigh less than two pounds.

The lantern was stored filled and it seems to have clogged the generator. I put the old generator back in and it is now working fine. Makes me wonder why I changed it in the first place.

Stove will get attention next week.

The Anorak is missing. Packed it away last spring somewhere. There's just to many Rubbermaid containers around this apartment. It will turn up, I'm sure.

I've been corresponding with Henry about his cross over poles on the Moment and Scarp. He has been quite kind and generous with some suggestions for me to further modify my Light Dimension.

Yes, the frozen season. Bring it on.

Posted by: TomD

Re: Winter its ON! - 10/12/09 01:11 AM

Hey Rick, I still want to get up your way, but things being the way they are, we shall have to wait and see. I need a new bag (still on my list) and maybe one of Kevin's anoraks. The rest of my gear is suitable for down here as long as it's not below about +10F.

I just broke out one of my little thermometers I got from Harlan. 10F looks like about -12C.
Posted by: thecook

Re: Winter its ON! - 10/12/09 01:23 AM

Your wearing that parka in 10F? eek eek eek eek eek

Come to MN for some realy winter weather wink

(we are supposed to have 4" of snow this week-end sick Looks like I might have to modify our usual family backpacking trip on next week-end :()
Posted by: kevonionia

Re: Winter its ON! - 10/12/09 03:27 AM

thecook:

Quote:
some real winter weather

Hey, we're playing baseball in shirtsleeves at midnight here in 20F, 5F-wind-chill weather here (and unfortunately losing.) frown frown

I bought some Columbia pac boots this week from STP, and found someone selling a pair of Tubbs backcountry snowshoes on Craigs list this week (for $25.) Rick, I'm a fish outta water from Florida, what's a fire box?
Posted by: Rick

Re: Winter its ON! - 10/12/09 07:23 AM

Quote:
Rick, I'm a fish outta water from Florida, what's a fire box?

Think Nimblewood only bigger. A metal box is used to confine the fire on three sides thereby using less wood than an open fire, concentrating the heat nicely for a small fire and no scorching the forest floor. Placing a couple of logs under it and the fire box can be used directly on snow pack.
Here pictured with a MSR 2l Alpine pot. The fire box is about 9" wide * 9" high * 12" deep. The box completely disassembles to lie flat for packing - about an inch thick. As I said early this one weighs about 3.3 lbs. The next one will be made from lighter gauge material and a little smaller - all in the never ending effort to shed a few more ounces. Lightweight is all relative to each individuals kit. wink
Having a fire in winter is almost mandatory - it's the Scout in me. grin
Posted by: phat

Re: Winter its ON! - 10/12/09 11:48 AM

Well, I just got back from being out for four days. I wouldn't call it "Winter" yet but it was definately past shoulder season smile

unfortunately no pics, since I forgot the camera, but my thermometer hit a low of -14 centigrade. I was out with my dad using my golite shangri-la 3, and my hammock. I was sleeping in the hammock. I had my little round wood stove (http://bofh.ucs.ualberta.ca/beck/pictures/hothex) in my shangri-la. I've modified the stove to use two snow stakes as the front support, and the rear of the stove now attaches to my vertical pole in the shangri-la with a pipe clamp - works great!

Interestingly, I managed well in the hammock - it was definately the coldest night I have slept out in one, normally I choose to go to ground earlier instead of fighting it. The weather predictions were not initially for as cold as it was, but I did fine. I had a wide (27") blue foam pad in the hammock, with my exped wallcreeper Primaloft bag rigged under the hammock with my ID silponcho as an underquilt and windblock. Inside the hammock I wore my MEC waffle weave heavy synthetic long underwear, a synthetic long underwear top, merino wool top, and a 200 wt fleece and a toque, I used my MEC Cygnet bag (-10C rated down). in the hammock. I was actually warm and comfy and slept well. While I'd not want to
go much colder with the same rig, I'm slowly warming to the idea that with a big thicker and larger underquilt I might be able to hammock down into deep deep winter temps - we'll see how silly I get this winter.

Re: Winter its ON! - 10/12/09 12:04 PM

Originally Posted By Rick

Having a fire in winter is almost mandatory - it's the Scout in

No, having a fire in our kind of winter *is* mandatory. Ok, admittedly I've "cold camped" with only a stove overnight in Jasper park where I am not allowed to have one. but that basically then consists of hiding in a sleeping bag for 15 hours. - enough to make me go somewhere I can burn something. -25C and 6 hours of daylight does not make life pleasant without a fire. I need my warmth and "caveman TV" at a minimum smile

Re: Winter its ON! - 10/12/09 12:16 PM

Originally Posted By Rick

I'd like a new set of 260 gm/m wool long johns. Very expensive. $200+ so some serious consideration is needed.

Rick, I've looked at these longingly too, but I've come back to always just using my usual winter underlayer, which is a set of medium synthetics, under my "shrek" pants - allow me to explain..

A number of years ago my wife and I did a halloween costume where we went as Shrek and Fiona - She already has the red hair and made the green dress. I shaved my head and colored myself green. we sewed up costume.. if you look at Shrek, he has tartan "tights" on his legs. So what we did for the costume was sew some form fitting bottoms out of the only thing we could find that was the right tartan (you gotta have the right tartan). and that thing was 200 wt fleece. The result is I have a very nicely fitting pair of 200 wt fleece "long johns. which have since been on more cold weather trips than they have halloween parties.

Anyway, I like the wool, but the fleece works as well or better for this purpose without the cost, as long as it's decently form fitting.

Of course the tartan is also extra stylish grin

Re: Winter its ON! - 10/12/09 12:54 PM

ha ha i didn't think this got posted! I was going to post some stuff on backcountry skiing but i looked and saw the snowshoeing and winter hiking haha.
Ha ha I slept down to 40* last night, only probelm i used a z-lite and man oh man i was sweating like a mofo and it just collected in the little air pockets. I also went over kill with a 20* bag blush
Oh yeah i was weating full lightweight samrt wool base layers haha

Re: Winter its ON! - 10/21/09 10:12 PM

I know this is for snowshoeing and winter backcountry travel, but i think skinning is also backcountry travel...so make this the thread where you post anything winter related...that involves winter travel, camping, and gear.

I forgot the camera today, but i made my first sierra turns. Nice chalky snow, dodging saplings and rocks. A great beautiful day, anyone else backcountry ski?

Re: Winter its ON! - 10/21/09 10:16 PM

a good jumping off point is gear, like shovel and i dont know if anyone carries a beacon while snowshoeing?

Shovels, stoves etc...oh and packs!

Re: Winter its ON! - 10/22/09 04:33 AM

Hey Cook, I'm a wienie and hate to be cold, plus I just like it. I can wear just my base layer under it. I think I put it on just for the picture.

Re: Winter its ON! - 10/22/09 04:39 AM

Bushman, this whole forum is for winter camping, skiing and snowshoeing, so if you have separate topics you want to discuss, go ahead and start separate threads, otherwise, the topics will just get jumbled together.