Snowboard boots

Posted by: honsing

Snowboard boots - 11/19/08 01:47 PM

My daughter wants me to do snowcamping this year. I've not done it since I was a teenaged boyscout. Back then, my troop made all of their gear from 1" foam rubber: coats, sleeping bags, leggings and "mukluk" boots. We walked around the Rockies like Michelin men/Pillsbury DoughBoys. But we were amazingly warm.

I'm not sure foam rubber is good for the environment and I can't hardly find the stuff now. But snowboard boots are very similar from what I can assess. Has anyone used these for winter camping? Used boots will soon be filling the landfills. I'm sure I can pick-up a used pair at a local used sports store. I doubt I'll go back to foam clothes though. Pros? Cons?
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Snowboard boots - 11/19/08 02:03 PM

snowboard boots are made for riding on a board, not walking. They are stiff in areas that prevent comfortable walking. It isn't bad walking in them from the car to the lift, or the bottom of the slope to the car, but I wouldn't want to walk much farther, and mine are pretty comfortable.
Posted by: TomD

Re: Snowboard boots - 11/19/08 11:32 PM

Snowboard boots would probably be okay if you are on snowshoes, but otherwise, I wouldn't wear them for the same reason finallyME gave-they are not designed for walking. Just like I wouldn't want to walk very far in ski boots.

I would look for something like a Steger mukluk, Baffin, Sorel or a winterized hiking boot.

If you wear a ten and want a pair of Sorels, let me know. I am on XC skis now, so don't need my Sorels.

Winter is no time to be out without proper gear. I suggest reading through the archives for gear suggestions.