What size snowshoe pole?

Posted by: wallyh

What size snowshoe pole? - 10/28/08 08:05 PM

I'm 6'1". Thinking about a solid pole. Maybe 51-52"? Thanks for any help.
Posted by: TomD

Re: What size snowshoe pole? - 10/28/08 11:20 PM

I'd get one about the same height as ski poles. Hard to say just based on your height. Some people have long legs, etc.

I have adjustable trekking poles that take snow baskets, so I just set them for whatever works at the time. I'm on skis these days, but the principle is the same. I used the same poles when I had snowshoes. I probably set mine so that they are a few inches shorter than shoulder height.

btw, I can't tell from your post, but make sure you buy a pair of them. You can snowshoe without them, but when you need them, you'll probably need both of them, especially if you wear a pack in soft snow.

Eric- after reading your post, I rethought how long I set mine, so edited my answer. I probably set them longer than I first thought.
Posted by: johndavid

Re: What size snowshoe pole? - 10/28/08 11:23 PM

Regarding these various poles;
I've used various poles of fixed length and variable length.

This includes a couple of Leki-style variable length and a couple of models of Black Diamond Flick-Lock models.

Fixed length poles, are of course, fixed, which is in itself, a virtue....

The BD variable length poles I've used are in my view... far superior to the Leki styles.

This is due in part to frost and ice. Also, the BD poles are much simpler in their design and adjustment.

I would urge anyone to consider the Flick-Lock design. Intially I thought they were inferior, but I've come to believe their superiority over Leki is a no-brainer...

Lately, I note that BD has included two methods of adjustment in their poles.

Am as a result personally confused...
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: What size snowshoe pole? - 10/28/08 11:34 PM

For fixed length measure (while wearing street shoes) from the floor to the prominent bone in the FRONT of your shoulder. Do not measure to under your armpit. That is the outdated method and gives too short of a length.

But I'd recommend adjustable hiking poles W/ a snow basket made for that pole. I use Leki poles.

Eric
Posted by: bmisf

Re: What size snowshoe pole? - 10/29/08 12:03 PM

Actually, for snowshoeing you want something closer to trekking pole length - ski poles will be too long. Look for something that feels comfortable with your arms at your sides, bent at the elbows so that your hands are just a bit higher than your elbow when gripping the poles with their tips on the ground in front of you.

I use my GossamerGear one-piece carbon fiber poles all year round - swapping out the basket for a snow basket in winter.

Adjustable length poles are nice in winter, though - consider a lightweight pair you can adjust. I have a pair of really light Lekis I bought for traveling that make fine winter poles as well.
Posted by: TomD

Re: What size snowshoe pole? - 10/29/08 04:06 PM

Now that I think about it a bit more, it really depends on how soft the snow is. If the basket is really going to sink in, I'd keep them a bit longer, which is where adjustable poles come in.

I have fallen over a couple of times with a big pack in soft snow and longer poles help you get back up. The last time I was in Yosemite, the snow was so deep off trail that when I stuck my skis in it to stand them up by my tent, they easily sank all the way to the bindings,