Long PNT Chunk Hike

Posted by: BrianLe

Long PNT Chunk Hike - 08/01/16 08:42 PM

My hiking partner (Lucky) and I hiked the western ~1/3 of the Pacific Northwest Trail (PNT) two years ago; we're going to hike the other 2/3 starting in a little over a week, this time going west from Glacier National Park, 800-some miles in total.

The PNT is a bit like the CDT, only less people hike it --- somewhat of a "make your own trail "experience. Looking forward to it!

I'll blog this trip, at www.postholer.com/brianle

The first blog entry is there now.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Long PNT Chunk Hike - 08/01/16 10:41 PM

Looking forward to following your journal, especially when you hit the Pasayten Wilderness--you should be there for larch season?

Re: Long PNT Chunk Hike - 08/02/16 11:45 AM

Should be going through the Pasayten in the latter half of September, so ... hmm, yes perhaps!

Do larch get more dangerous when they're in season, like Elk ... ? :-)

Re: Long PNT Chunk Hike - 08/02/16 02:58 PM

Quote:
Do larch get more dangerous when they're in season, like Elk ... ? :-)

Depends. Judging from the number of articles I've seen lately about people falling while trying to take pictures, it's a possibility!

Re: Long PNT Chunk Hike - 10/03/16 08:28 PM

Brian is "out of the woods" today, and has updated his journal. Congratulations, Brian, for completing the PNT!

Brian has also thoroughly tested the durability of Shoe Goo for repairs!

Re: Long PNT Chunk Hike - 10/05/16 02:37 PM

Thanks, OR !

This was a tough hike; the PNT is many years away from being a tame experience; in comparison the PCT and AT are sort of "paint by numbers" experiences. On a per-mile basis I think the PNT is harder than the CDT (I'd still put the CDT as harder as a thru-hike due to weather impacts of doing that).

Lots of cool stuff about this trail, including so very many days of seeing just no one else on trail. The Pasayten wilderness in WA is particularly that, but ... just in general this was true. Makes you realize how completely empty of humans most trails are almost all of the time (easy to forget near a trail head on a sunny summer weekend).

And yes, I was impressed with how much shoe goo can extend the durability of trail runner soles if given the chance to cure properly. I've got about 800 miles on these shoes now; I wore a hole all the way through one heel some 250 miles or so before the end, and shoe goo saved my butt (or feet, anyway). I'm pretty sure it kept the shoes from further deterioration as I walked those latter miles. (no, I'm not a paid shill for the shoe goo people ... :-)).