im going to hike the PCT in April

Posted by: piemaster

im going to hike the PCT in April - 10/16/14 07:26 PM

I am planing to hike the PCT and am looking for both advice and people who would want to make the 2,600 mile hike with me I am very serious about doing this. I am bored with the life i have right now and want to go and accomplish something. To do something amazing that no one can ever take from me
Posted by: aimless

Re: im going to hike the PCT in April - 10/16/14 07:48 PM

You will want to start a training regime of some sort and start acquiring skills you'll need on your trek. The more you plan and prepare, the more chance you'll succeed.

One good resource for asking questions and finding hiking partners will be the mailing list pct-l. You can register for it here:

http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l

You can find free topo maps of the entire trail at:

http://www.pctmap.net/
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: im going to hike the PCT in April - 11/14/14 07:03 PM

I'd read some journals from past hikers, too. You might start with our very own BrianLe (Gadget) whose journal from several years back can be found on postholer.com. Trailjournals.com is another good source of journals.

My understanding from those who have done the trip is that you don't need to worry about partners. There will be enough people out there that you can find friendly folks to link up with. permanently or temporarily, while you're out on the trail.
Posted by: BrianLe

Re: im going to hike the PCT in April - 11/26/14 01:19 AM

Yes, as OM says, it's easy to find trail partners along the way, and beneficial in multiple ways. No stress from any prior relationship stuff or expectations, you just find yourself walking with one or more folks of similar pace. Hike for days or weeks or even months together, split up when that makes sense, walk alone for a while (which can be great too), find a new person or group to connect with. I have a better social life on long distance trails than I do in my "normal" life.

In addition to the pct-l list, there's a PCT forum on whiteblaze.net. I'd look into the annual PCT kickoff event, ADZPCTKO. It's become more popular and regularly "sells out" these days, so you want to register early if you're going. The impact of the movie "Wild" will certainly exacerbate that.

Unless you already have some decent backpacking experience, I strongly suggest that you first buy cheap or borrow or rent or some combo of those to get an initial set of gear, and then work up to a fairly long solo hike, a "shakedown" hike. I suggest something on the order of 50 miles. If you succeed at that, you'll then have a better sense for prep and for whether you're good to go for something a lot longer. Put this another way, my unscientific sense is that folks that do a long shakedown hike before their first long distance hike attempt significantly improve their odds of success (and happiness) on the trip itself.

pcta.org is a good site to look over too. Postholer.com has various PCT resources. Lots of stuff out there to help you get up to speed.

Best of luck!