Recipe: World's Easiest One Pot Meal

Posted by: Johnny_Swank

Recipe: World's Easiest One Pot Meal - 07/21/06 01:49 PM

Not the lighest thing, but we eat this almost every time we leave a resupply for the first dinner. I went on a big "add Italian dressing to everything" kick when I hiked the AT too. Lots of calories, and a flavor kick.

From World's Easiest One-pot Meal

World's Easiest One-pot Meal

This was the first meal I ever cooked for Jess. We were helping lead a school trip in the Okefenokee Swamp when I saw what she had in her foodbag. Nothing but packages of dried soup, pretzel sticks, wasibi peas, and other unmentionables. That wouldn't do, so I said I would just take care of the food. Since then we've probably eaten this a hundred times. We take this on every trip.

Eyeball measurements are fine. Most of the time I'm lucky if I can find my spoon much less measure anything.

World's Easiest One-pot Meal (serves two)

12 ounces of pasta (any kind, we like the tri-colored twist type)
4 ounces or so of Italian dressing (about half a small bottle)
3 ounces of cheese (whatever you have. We use cheddar and parmesan)
1 small onion
3-4 carrots, chopped
1 small can of pineapple chunks
salt and pepper to taste
green onions
Whatever else you want to throw in (nuts, spices, garlic, chicken, etc)

In a 2-liter or larger pot, boil the pasta until soft. Don’t overcook, and watch to make sure it doesn’t boil over. Drain the pasta and return to the pot. (Hint: cut the bottom four inches off a one-gallon milk jug and stab some holes into the bottom. Voila—Instant strainer!) Dice up the cheese, onion, carrots and dump in. Open the can of pineapple, drink the juice, and then stir in the chunks. Add whatever else you have on hand. Stir in the Italian dressing. Eat until you see the bottom of the pot. Burp. Go enjoy the sunset.

Selected excerpt from the book Source to Sea: A Journey down the Mississippi and Atchafalaya Rivers
Release date: October 2006
Copyright 2006