Lake Clark National Park Trip

Posted by: willie1280

Lake Clark National Park Trip - 03/14/18 03:46 PM

Hey Everyone!

Earlier this week i took the first step to a dream i've had for many years and that's booking my flight to Alaska and more specifically, visiting Dick Proenneke's cabin! I'm beyond ecstatic!

I will be going the last week of August 2018. I arrive in Anchorage at 1am on a Saturday morning and tentatively planning to have Lake Clark Air fly me out at 7am that same morning.

The end goal is to spend time around Dick's cabin. So i am debating 2 routes. Either get dropped off at lower twin and spend a day or two casually hiking to Dick's place. Or option B, get dropped of at Turquois Lake and hike over the mountains to Dick's place. While i've done a great deal of reading what i can find about the plan B option (mostly on outfitters sites), i haven't found any maps that show the actual route people take. I know there aren't any trails, but i'd like to be able to visually see the path i would be taking so i can plan the days out and know what elevations/terrain to expect for each. The last thing i want to do is spend to much wandering the mountains and not get enough time at Dick's place.

Has anyone on here specifically hiked either of those options?
Posted by: HPD

Re: Lake Clark National Park Trip - 03/15/18 11:29 AM

Never been there but looked into going there some years back. That's some pretty wild country! The way your post is worded it sounds like you're going alone, is that right?

Re: Lake Clark National Park Trip - 03/15/18 12:30 PM

Yup, going solo. However, i believe the route i'll likely be taking is frequented by the guides out there. So i suspect i may actually see some folks.

Re: Lake Clark National Park Trip - 03/17/18 10:27 AM

WOW shocked Good luck to ya!
Btw-Who is Dick Proenneke?

Re: Lake Clark National Park Trip - 03/19/18 12:14 PM

Originally Posted By HPD
WOW shocked Good luck to ya!
Btw-Who is Dick Proenneke?

Google it someday and you'll be hooked for life! If you've only got an hour to spare, watch the movie from PBS Alone in the Wilderness. If you've got a few hours, read that book. If you've got alot of time, read all of his books of his unedited journals and the other 3 movies!
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: Lake Clark National Park Trip - 03/19/18 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By willie1280
Google it someday and you'll be hooked for life! If you've only got an hour to spare, watch the movie from PBS Alone in the Wilderness. If you've got a few hours, read that book. If you've got alot of time, read all of his books of his unedited journals and the other 3 movies!

And cringe as you watch him hold chunks of wood with his bare hand while he works on it with a hatchet :LOL:.
Posted by: troutstalker

Re: Lake Clark National Park Trip - 06/04/18 04:28 PM

Sounds like an awesome trip and look forward to reading the report

Re: Lake Clark National Park Trip - 09/15/18 08:11 PM

So, Wille, how'd that trip go??