Pinhoti water

Posted by: Opus

Pinhoti water - 02/02/18 01:47 PM

Hello All!

I am new to this forum and a fairly (2 years) new backpacker.

I am looking to make a solo hike on section 5 (Porter's Gap to Adams Gap) of the Pinhoti Trailin late March, and I have some questions regarding the water situation.

My Dept. of Agriculture map states that there are no water sources along this section but the Pinhoti Alliance website lists multiple seasonal and reliable water sources.

Has anyone hiked this section recently that can fill me in?

Any recomendations or tips for tackling this trail?

Thanks

Opus
Posted by: slammer

Re: Pinhoti water - 03/09/18 12:10 PM

This post is a bit old but I'll reply anyway. I have only done the five mile section south of Adams gap going toward Porters Gap and I don't recall any significant water. The section is somewhat harsh, short on cell signal, mostly ridge top and you're unlikely to see another human soul. I did go during the drought and many of the ridge tops were burned or still burning when I went through. So if there were small water sources they would not have been running at that time.
Posted by: pinhotiBill

Re: Pinhoti water - 03/17/18 10:21 AM

I would pick Bulls Gap to Porters Gap. We did as a 2 night trip but you could probably do it as a one night trip if you start early the first day. Our first night was waterless, we stayed in a small field about 4 miles from Bulls Gap. The second day you hit a big creek coming out of a lake. Great camp spot, and only about 3.5 miles to finish at Porter's Gap.
Posted by: snapper

Re: Pinhoti water - 04/12/18 12:38 PM

I don't know if you're a YouTube watcher but you might want to check out this video series by Darwin on his recent Pinhoti Trail hike. It might have the information you're looking for. Here's the link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZhEg7_Gt5E&t=6s

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper