Badlands

Posted by: Tejano0369

Badlands - 07/20/17 05:22 PM

Hello all, I am very new to the forum and am looking for some advice. I am planning to do some hiking and camping at Badlands in about a month. I have never done any backcountry hiking/camping. Can anyone offer some words of wisdom? As of right now I'm only planning on staying out there for one night, then travel to Black Hills then on to Yellowstone. Advice on gear? Must-see areas? Areas to avoid?
Posted by: toddfw2003

Re: Badlands - 07/20/17 11:28 PM

Carry bear spray. The best thing to do to get into backpack ing is to start backpacking. Just go do it. Get a sample gear list of things you will want to bring along depending on the time of year. Research the trail you are going to hike. Is there going to be water on the trail that I can filter or do i need to pack in my water. Learn to read a topo map. www.caltopo.com is a good place to map your hikes. Most of us have learned from our mistakes. You backpack. find out what works and also find out what doesnt work. This is my winter gear list. I use this list every time. I remove stuff in the warmer seasons. We all backpack a little different. Some like lots of luxurys on the trail and other are minimalist and like very light loads. Like a said, just get out there and do it. You will make changes as you learn

Pack -
Sleeping bag -
Shelter -
Sleeping pad -
rain gear -
cooking pot/ stove -
Spoon -
knife -
water bottle -
First aid kit -
Matches -
emergency blanket-
whistle -
Compass/ map
Sun screen
water purifier
toilet paper -
garbage bag
headlamp -
Down jacket -
Beanie -
Insulated underwear
Fire starter -
colgate wisp
3 extra AAA batteries
Socks -
Fuel
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Badlands - 07/22/17 12:59 AM

I haven't backpacked there (in fact, I stayed in a motel in Wall, SD), and I couldn't hike in the Badlands because my dog was with me. I wasn't that enamored of the Badlands, except for the prairie dog towns and buffalo. A much better prairie dog town, close up, is right next to the main parking lot at Devil's Tower, which you'll come close to after leaving the Black Hills.

I presume you've read the info on the Badlands National Park website? No fires allowed and you'll need to carry all your water. No trees, so no shade--everything is out in the midday sun.

I'd suggest doing your overnighter in the Back Hills instead. It will be much cooler and you'll have shade and water! Check the Black Hills National Forest site for info on the Black Elk Wilderness and a a link to their hiking trails brochure.

Re: Badlands - 07/22/17 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By toddfw2003
Carry bear spray. The best thing to do to get into backpack ing is to start backpacking. Just go do it. Get a sample gear list of things you will want to bring along depending on the time of year. Research the trail you are going to hike. Is there going to be water on the trail that I can filter or do i need to pack in my water. Learn to read a topo map. www.caltopo.com is a good place to map your hikes. Most of us have learned from our mistakes. You backpack. find out what works and also find out what doesnt work. This is my winter gear list. I use this list every time. I remove stuff in the warmer seasons. We all backpack a little different. Some like lots of luxurys on the trail and other are minimalist and like very light loads. Like a said, just get out there and do it. You will make changes as you learn

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Re: Badlands - 07/22/17 06:59 PM

I'll be going to Black Hills after Badlands. Then on to Yellowstone and either Glacier or Nez Perce, haven't decided yet.

Re: Badlands - 07/23/17 11:24 AM

You will have to use a bear canister in Yellowstone
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Badlands - 07/23/17 06:31 PM

But the OP says he's backpacking only in the Badlands, oddly. No bears there, just buffalo and prairie dogs. No trees (and therefore no shade), too.

Re: Badlands - 07/23/17 09:17 PM

I had thought about the black hills before choosing sawtooth. I read that water is scarse. I dont like packing a lot of water
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Badlands - 07/23/17 10:33 PM

The OP also says he has never backpacked before. Is that a concern where he's headed? (I'm not familiar with the area, so I honestly don't know.)

Re: Badlands - 07/23/17 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
The OP also says he has never backpacked before. Is that a concern where he's headed? (I'm not familiar with the area, so I honestly don't know.)

I myself wouldnt attempt anything other than something local or an over night trip with out experience. Those are the people that disappear. For me trip planning, putting together maps and stuff is just as much fun as the trip

Re: Badlands - 07/24/17 10:38 AM

Quote:
I myself wouldnt attempt anything other than something local or an over night trip with out experience. Those are the people that disappear. For me trip planning, putting together maps and stuff is just as much fun as the trip

That's my plan, just walk out for a couple of hours and camp overnight, then head back in the morning.