Another Adirondacks hike

Posted by: Bob Chiang

Another Adirondacks hike - 12/12/16 08:48 PM

Hi all,

Last weekend my daughter was available to take a hike with me in the Adirondack High Peaks. The forecast was for wind chills down to 20 below, so we chose to climb Cascade and Porter Mountains.

We got lucky with more sun, warmer temperatures, and less wind than forecast. It was still cold enough that nobody was lingering on the summits ; ) The trail was generally packed all the way and we didn't encounter any significant ice. We didn't put on Microspikes until we were close to the tree line on Cascade and never needed snowshoes.

Speaking of which: I bought my Tubbs Flex Alp snowshoes two years ago and have yet to wear them!

Lots of rime ice made for a beautiful display of nature's magic:

Link to pictures

Have Fun,
-Bob
Posted by: DTape

Re: Another Adirondacks hike - 12/14/16 01:46 PM

Awesome! I love the Adks especially in winter.
Posted by: Bob Chiang

Re: Another Adirondacks hike - 01/30/17 12:03 PM

Yet another trip to the Adirondacks, this time with a group of instructors from the Cornell Outdoor Education program. I've gotten used to taking trips with partners younger than my own kids! We took day trips based out of a house that another COE instructor owns and allowed us to use. Thanks Tammy! I'm glad that we stayed in a house because I started to develop blisters on the first day, so I took the second day off and hung out reading and drinking tea.

We had quite mild weather, and it was fun introducing them to the High Peaks in winter. There was just enough wind and blowing snow on the first peak to feel winter-mountainee. We lucked out with beautiful cloud conditions on the third day. And... I finally actually wore my snowshoes instead of toting them around on my back ; ) All in all another fine adventure.

Click here to see pictures.

Have Fun,
-Bob