Favorite Hikes in Upstate NY?

Posted by: BlueMelody

Favorite Hikes in Upstate NY? - 06/02/16 04:14 PM

I'm heading to upstate NY this weekend to whitewater raft on the Hudson and I'm camping in the Lake George area...

Any hiking suggestions would be awesome! I'm an amateur nature/landscape photographer, so hikes leading to waterfalls, or summits with good views are ideal!

Thank you! smile
Posted by: scratchtp

Re: Favorite Hikes in Upstate NY? - 06/02/16 07:30 PM

I have only gotten to the Adirondacks once, but there are a lot of nice hikes in that region you could look into. If you are looking for summits, the high peaks region is supposed to be very beautiful. The Lake Colden Marcy Dam loop is very popular, and from pictures I have seen, pretty impressive. Right in Lake George you can do the Tongue Mountain Range, which has some great views. I recently went to the pharaoh lakes region, which was very nice, but if you are looking for impressive peaks or waterfalls it might not be the best. I put up a trip report just a couple of weeks ago if you search for it in this subforum. That way you can get an idea of the scenery there.

If you are into canoeing/rafting, there is also the northern forest canoe trail which passes through that area, some sections are easy to do across calm lakes, but some are supposed to have quite a few rapids, especially coming out of the Adirondacks. I haven't done any part of it personally, but have heard it's beautiful.

If you are going to be doing a lot of hiking in that area this time of year, I would recommend head nets and copious amounts of bug spray. When we went a few weeks ago the black flies were pretty bad.
Posted by: bluefish

Re: Favorite Hikes in Upstate NY? - 06/03/16 08:34 AM

I'd highly recommend the southern section of the Tongue Mt. Range. from Clay Meadows, rather than the northern access which leads to the rather overrated and easy Deer Leap. The section up on the ridge is rugged and interspersed with absolutely spectacular views, the lake section of the trail from Montcalm Point has beautiful forest and waterfalls. Farther back in this section I have a report from this past winter. Just be cautious around the ledges, this area has lots of timber rattlers, that are now out. They are not aggressive and no one seems to ever be bit, just be cautious and a great photo op may present itself! In the Lake George Wilderness Area,Shelving Rock Falls can be combined with hikes to Shelving Rock, Buck, Sleeping Beauty and Black Mts., along with some very pretty ponds. All those peaks will have great views down on the Lake and the islands and views out to Vermont.
My favorite is Sleeping Beauty and making a loop to come out around the shore of Bump's Pond for the return to Dacy Clearing. Black Mt. from the trail to Black Mt. Point is steep but very rewarding. Parking is near the end of Hogtown Rd.. Bring bug dope and a head net, the black flies can be bad. The best short hike is Sleeping Beauty if you have a high clearance vehicle to get into the second lot at Dacy Clearing rather than the lot right on Hogtown. , otherwise Buck Mt. or Shelving Rock if time is short.