Summer 2016 destination??

Posted by: orclwzrd

Summer 2016 destination?? - 08/02/15 04:26 PM

Destination question for you. I've got a group of high school students that I take backpacking. We've done the Porkies repeatedly, we've done Southern Illinois. We'd like to take them someplace new, thinking Coloradoish or ATish. We add new youth all the time as older ones move on so experience level varies for the youth. We'd like some less traveled destinations, any suggestions? just randomly fishing. I've got the maps out too. our origination point is Chicagoland area. Date range is summer vacation, June, July, August. Trip duration is Generally depart Friday evening, return sunday evening week later, could be adjusted slightly. Is Maroon Bells to heavily travelled? I think Uintas Highline Trail is too far and possibly to difficult.

John
crazed leader of youth outings!
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Summer 2016 destination?? - 08/04/15 01:37 PM

Since it's summer you might consider a float trip in the Ozarks.

It's not the same as backpacking, but it's pretty close because you'll use all the same gear and get to see some spectacular scenery. Early summer is usually better but it really depends on how much rain we've had. My wife and I spent yesterday at the Buffalo River NP and the water is perfect for a gentle float there now.

On the plus side, there are world class swimming holes for your students to enjoy and cool off in, and you get to camp right on the shore anywhere you want there, and there are some great short day hikes you can do to some amazing spots.

There are some things you need to be aware of, like choosing a camp site that has access to high ground in case of a flash flood, not to mess with the cottonmouth water moccasins, and ticks and chiggers are waiting for you in the forests, but floating the Buffalo River is right up there with hiking Yosemite in my book.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Summer 2016 destination?? - 08/05/15 05:50 AM

Grayson Highlands (Mt. Rogers) on the AT near Damascus, VA. Shenandoah National Park. Isle Royale National Park in Lake Superior. Dolly Sods Wilderness in WV. Big South Fork NRRA in KY/TN.

It will be hot and humid at all of these except Isle Royale.
Posted by: orclwzrd

Re: Summer 2016 destination?? - 08/05/15 11:34 PM

Hot and humid is what we are trying to dodge. We did Southern Illinois, Shawnee Natl Forest, Lusk Creek Wilderness in June and between melting and getting stormed on it was a good trip. We'd like to take them to some real mountains. Uintas Highline Trail looks awesome but wondering if it's too difficult and at 19 hours away..

john
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Summer 2016 destination?? - 08/06/15 01:41 AM

Wyoming's Wind River Range?