The Curse of Island Lake

Posted by: balzaccom

The Curse of Island Lake - 09/19/14 12:46 PM

Three times.

Three times we have made plans to hike to Island Lake in the Desolation Wilderness. And three times our plans have been foiled. Once because M wasn't feeling well. Once because a huge storm was predicted (and delivered.) And now the King Fire.

Tahoe National Forest has announced that all hiking in Desolation Wilderness should be abandoned until that massive fire is under control---and it is 5% contained at this point. It has destroyed homes, injured firefighters, and carbonized over 100,000 acres of forest. And it has closed US 50 for a few miles as well.

So even if we WANTED to go hiking there, we couldn't get through to the trailhead. We've had other trips cancelled, both because of fire (in Yosemite) or other reasons. But we've never had to cancel the same itinerary more than once, except for Island Lake.

And now it's three times.

Ever had to cancel a trip more than once to the same place?
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: The Curse of Island Lake - 09/19/14 01:18 PM

That SOB (King Fire) tripled in area overnight between Wednesday and Thursday, and they've arrested somebody suspected of setting it. His bail is $10M because firefighters have already had to deploy shelters after being overrun by the fire.

The fire has marched into my usual winter playground, which is now irrevocably altered at least for the rest of my life. As of this morning containment is a whopping 10%--I guess it's just going to burn north and east until it runs out of timber (making it like last year's Ridge Fire).

I most typically get turned back by too much snow (remember snow?) but also due to storm damage, road closures (or impassible roads), fires, logging, weather...more reasons than I can count. In Washington there's an "easy" hike from I-90 I've started four times and have made it but once.

Cheers,