For my Alabama Friends

Posted by: Kenny Taylor

For my Alabama Friends - 11/27/13 02:49 AM

Hello guys, hope all has been well. It’s been a while since I’ve gotten to do any hiking and aside from my single first trip, been stuck at work, doing chores, or simply too broke to travel.

I have a friend who will be visiting her family here the week before Christmas in my home town in Cullman, Alabama. She’s from Washington State. My long term goal is to spend a week in her backyard next year backpacking. During her visit here, she wants to do a single night of car camping, or something with a short walk in. She will not have any gear with her since it’s much too expensive to mail back and forth for only a single day in the woods.

Can anyone recommend a good place to go within a cpl hours of Cullman which might offer at least some sort of scenic value? I’m trying to stay out of the typical campgrounds which only offers a view of gravel pads and bbq stands.

I don’t mind primitive camp spots, just so long as it won’t take a lot of trips getting to and from the truck. I have my gear, but I’ll be forced to beg, borrow and steal to get her enough gear that will offer at least a night of fun.

This will be the week before Christmas and since she’s dedicating a day or two of outdoors with me, I would like to make it enjoyable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kenny
Posted by: PerryMK

Re: For my Alabama Friends - 11/27/13 06:00 AM

The Pinhoti Trail isn't too far from you. I believe it has over 100 miles in Alabama and extends into Georgia. There are plenty of side trails to make a loops for a short or long weekends, or of course one can stay at one of the many campgrounds and do day hikes. There is everything from full hookup RV to drive-up primitive to backcountry spots if you want to hike to them.

Use your favorite internet search engine to look up Cheaha State Park and Talladega National Forest to get started.

Enjoy!
Posted by: Ewker

Re: For my Alabama Friends - 11/27/13 01:24 PM

http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/sitemap.html

Re: For my Alabama Friends - 11/28/13 12:39 PM

Thanks guys, I'll look them over to see if it's close enough for us to do.

Ken
Posted by: Justin.O

Re: For my Alabama Friends - 11/29/13 10:13 AM

Hey long Lost friend! You may not remember me but I used to work at Williams BBQ and ride fourwheelers. Anyways Ive been to Bankhead National forest several times now. There is a really good spot I know of that is 20 minutes from the paid parking lot. The site is "Fall Creek Falls". That sounds like it would be right up your alley. Ive taken my GF there and had many other successful trips there. Very beautiful spot. It is a very competitive spot with only a few camp "spots", so you gotta jump on it early. Hit me up if you need any details or a map. We need to catch up anyway.

Re: For my Alabama Friends - 12/01/13 02:24 AM

Good to see ya old friend. Glad you looked me up. Thanks for the feedback. I'll hook up with ya soon about some of the logistics of that spot. I gotta get my friend some basic gear for a single overnighter trip so maybe things will pan out for the best. If not, my tail will be on the hot seat. lol

Ken