Wind River Range in August

Posted by: mosquito

Wind River Range in August - 02/15/13 01:12 PM

This August my wife,our grandson, a friend and myself are going in out of the Meadow Lake TH. We will be camping near Jacqueline Lake the 1st night and Upper Golden the next 2 nights. We are then going onto the reservation the next 3 days and fishing Alpine, Deadman and toward the Bull Lake area. Any thoughts on good areas to camp while on the reservation?
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Wind River Range in August - 02/15/13 01:24 PM

One of our most esteemed members here, Wandering Daisy, has written a guidebook. Here's a link for more info.

I'm sure she'll chime in, but I'll recommend you buy the book because I'm sure you'll find answers to questions you haven't thought of yet, and find places you wouldn't want to miss while you're there.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Wind River Range in August - 02/15/13 01:47 PM

And be sure to get the optional DVD that goes with it--topographic maps of all the routes, which you can print out, and amazing photos that will set you drooling!

Her website (with more info) ia here.

Re: Wind River Range in August - 02/15/13 01:56 PM

I have the book and love it.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Wind River Range in August - 02/15/13 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By mosquito
I have the book and love it.

Cool!!

I'm sure she will check in soon and see your post. In the meantime you might want to check out her trip report from last summer.
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Wind River Range in August - 02/17/13 08:53 PM

Unfortunately the Apline Lake Fire of 2012 totally burned Deadman Lake, Alpine Lake and Marked Tree as well as most of Bull Lake Canyon. There may be more information on the fire damage this spring. As of last fall the snowfall finally put out the fire. There has been little done so far with field verification of the extent of the damage.

Re: Wind River Range in August - 02/17/13 09:07 PM

Darn. We wanted to fish that area. Any ideas on anything else in that area?

Dave