Looking to XC ski into a cabin or other structure!

Posted by: bamboojoe

Looking to XC ski into a cabin or other structure! - 01/19/12 11:01 PM

Childhood friend is coming into town and i need to put together an outdoor adventure. We are both avid campers, but don't have the gear to snow camp, so i'd rather XC into a cabin or other structure. I looked at some of the forest service cabins on hood, but they're all booked for the weekend in feb that i need them...any and all advice is appreciated! Thanks...btw...I'm in Portland, need to do a quick overnight on a sat and leave early sunday...ideas?
Posted by: TomD

Re: Looking to XC ski into a cabin or other structure! - 01/20/12 02:09 AM

I moved this because it is more about trip suggestions than anything else and we have some members up your way.

Having said that, I wouldn't be skiing anywhere without bivy gear. If you think that is irrelevant, there are four people missing on Rainier right now due to the recent storm.

At the very least, I would have my bag, lightweight bivy sack, shovel, stove and food for several days beyond my planned trip and warm enough clothes for whatever the minimum temps are expected to be and navigation gear-map, compass or GPS. Ideally, also some sort of beacon or phone (PLB, Spot, cel or sat phone).
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Looking to XC ski into a cabin or other structure! - 01/23/12 02:59 AM

Trip report to Maiden Peak. This is near Willamette Pass.