Snow for the Sierra

Posted by: wandering_daisy

Snow for the Sierra - 02/19/11 08:41 PM

For those hoping for a snow-free early season in the Sierra, here is something to consider.

http://www.kirkwood.com/site/mountain/snow-report/2011-2-19
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Snow for the Sierra - 02/19/11 09:35 PM

Wow! Storm total, 11'-12'. Wow! I only received a measley 20"+. They get hit hard there anyway.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Snow for the Sierra - 02/19/11 09:44 PM

Yep. WE actually cancelled a trip up there this weekend. WE were going to stay with a friend in Twain Harte...but she is snowed in, no power, and no food. And yeah, we could have hiked in from the road and all...but she really didn't think she wanted to be trapped in her little house with us for three days...

There is a TON of snow in the Sierra right now. And I bet it's not gone by June!
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: Snow for the Sierra - 04/08/11 10:31 AM

I called the White Mountain Ranger District yesterday to talk about conditions. White Mountain had 6 foot of snow with more falling as we spoke. They aren't optimistic about the road going up being open in mid June (partly because of idiots tearing up a wet road). My June 13 White Mountain Crest trip may start in the valley (if I get to go at all). Arizona is starting to look really good again.
Posted by: Keith

Re: Snow for the Sierra - 04/08/11 12:33 PM

Please mention the location. This is typical of many place names as there are multiple "white mountains" in multiple states.
Thanks. thanks
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: Snow for the Sierra - 04/08/11 07:47 PM

Sorry Keith, I mean the White Mountains just east of the Sierra Nevada in California. That IS a common name; my wife and I are trying to talk some relatives in New Hampshire in to doing a short hut to hut in those White Mountains.
Posted by: oldranger

Re: Snow for the Sierra - 04/08/11 07:53 PM

There are White Mountains in Arizona, for that matter. Actually, if your state doesn't have a range of White Mountains, you could probably sue someone.

And then there is South Dakota, with its Black Hills -Lame!
Posted by: bobito9

Re: Snow for the Sierra - 04/09/11 11:44 PM

Peru has a White Mtns (Cordillera Blanca) and a Black Mtns (Cordillera Negra) separated by a long river valley.