California Coast

Posted by: Bushman

California Coast - 06/07/10 04:37 PM

So due to a skiing injury this year hiking is very uncomfortable for me, only when I use hiking pole though, which I can avoid but I do like using them. Anyway along with the injury and all the snow in the mountains I am thinking of skipping the mountains for a while. I was planning on hiking the coast but biking right now is looking like a better option.

I cant decide if I should go south or go north. To me it almost doesn't matter and I guess there are a few pros and cons to each but what would you recommend? I plan on being back in the mountains in July(hopefully well after mot of the snow melts). Also by chance dose anyone know how long it take to do all of california on a bike?
I also dont on plan buying saddles and just using my pack, anyone not recommend this(i can deal with a sweaty back)
thanks
Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: California Coast - 06/07/10 05:55 PM

I've thru-biked the California coast several times. Oregon too. I highly recommend N-S because the wind will be at your back far more often than S-N. Also, when you go down Hwy 1 as it hugs the cliffs between Montery and San Simeon you will be on the coast side of the road and the view will be better. And it is an incredible view.

It takes as long as you want it to. Just depends on how many miles you feel like doing every day.

Don't use a pack, you will regret it. Higher center of gravity, sweaty back, impaired breathing, more pressure on your back and hips. Spend a few bucks and buy proper panniers.

Posted by: Bushman

Re: California Coast - 06/07/10 06:16 PM

good info right after the post I read a few articles and N-S seems to be the way to do it. Thanks a bunch.