Colorado Trail, Segment 12 (and a quarter) 9/23-6

Posted by: kevonionia

Colorado Trail, Segment 12 (and a quarter) 9/23-6 - 10/01/09 03:14 PM

Just got back from my first "extra" days off since arriving in Denver last June, and doing Seg. 12 (and a quarter) of the Colorado Trail in the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness.

Four of us went, including two newbies (father & son) and my buddy JJ, who hadn't bp'd since 2002. I outfitted 'em all with my extra gear (I need help -- mental if not financial help) and we had a great time.

That's kevonionia, left, prehike, with my new GoLite Pinnacle (loved it!), new TR z-lite pad (a bit narrow, but no complaints.) My TT Cloudburst 2 didn't keep this former Florida boy warm enuf in this wx -- has got me looking for a good, light 3-season tent.)

No matter how many times told, I still am in shock with the vagaries of Colorado weather. 85F one day, cold the next. Snow/sun/snow/sun -- and that in an hour on the trail. But I love it and this place is so beautiful and has so many places to hike, even when it turns out to be "Plan B" like our hike did. Hiking in snow was new to me, and this being the season's first real snow, it never was near deep enough to require snowshoes -- just made the trees, especially the blazin' aspens, more gorgeous.

The full trip report (more of a photo journal) is HERE.

Day 2.

Day 2.

Heading down and out for the Avalanche trailhead on Day 4.

I'm ready to get some snowshoes and head back out! awesome

Posted by: scottyb

Re: Colorado Trail, Segment 12 (and a quarter) 9/23-6 - 10/02/09 07:59 AM

Very nice trip report. I have spent some time in the Buena Vista area and really like it. Tried to summit Mt Yale but got turned around at 13.5K due to a T-storm. You are right, the shoulder season is very fickle.
Posted by: GrumpyGord

Re: Colorado Trail, Segment 12 (and a quarter) 9/23-6 - 10/02/09 12:04 PM

Very interesting. The mountains in CO do the same as Lake Michigan does in MI. It can change the weather while you are eating lunch.
Posted by: BarryP

Re: Colorado Trail, Segment 12 (and a quarter) 9/23-6 - 10/02/09 12:06 PM

I don’t know where you find the time to do those awesome trip reports!
It looks like an excellent place to backpack.

You had me chuckling:
“Suited up, sun out.”
“Studying the translucency of beef jerky”

I might have missed it but what were the temperature ranges?

And how did you sleep on a z-rest? I have an older model and it is hard.

Thanx,
-Barry
Posted by: hatidua

Re: Colorado Trail, Segment 12 (and a quarter) 9/2 - 10/02/09 02:45 PM

-enjoyed reading that report, might have to give that area a try.
Posted by: kevonionia

Re: Colorado Trail, Segment 12 (and a quarter) 9/23-6 - 10/02/09 03:23 PM

Hey Barry:

Daytime temps were 30's up to upper 60s on that last leg down into Middle Cottonwood on Sat. Temps at night were low-30s at N. Cottonwood, to low, low 20s at the two higher campsites. I definitely want a shoulder-season tent.

My new long z- sleeping pad was okay -- a little stiff. If I wasn't such a cheapskate, I'd get a neo-air. Was it TomD that recommended an air on top of a closed-cell pad in winter? I'm sure I will eventually get a neo-air when they're $50 on Steep & Cheap. wink wink

I swear that at the hot springs I saw people floating on neo-airs, easily id'd because of those horizontal tubes. I hijacked one from a little kid to inspect it (and had to give it back when he went crying to his biker-dad --crybaby!), but before I returned it I was able to peel off this tacky label that said, quote, "Heaby Dudy Hot Spring Air Mattress," and there underneath was the TR neo-air logo. I asked the manager at the hot springs front desk, and she said that they get them in bulk direct from China for $15 each. Guess I shoulda bought one, or tried to sneak off with that kid's when they went up for an ice cream. Okay, okay, I did make up this entire paragraph. blush blush I'm just jealous.

Posted by: Dondo

Re: Colorado Trail, Segment 12 (and a quarter) 9/23-6 - 10/11/09 02:16 PM

Kevon, I really enjoyed your photo journal. It looks like it was great trip. Sleeping on a Z-lite? Boy, you really are a tough guy. After a trip last week, I finally broke down (wimped out?) and bought a big cushy air mattress.
Posted by: Tango61

Re: Colorado Trail, Segment 12 (and a quarter) 9/23-6 - 10/11/09 03:54 PM

Nice trip and great report, Kev.

Also a good example of listening to that inner voice we all have and going for Plan B rather than forcing Plan A.

I really liked the picture of the fallen stump in the snow.
It looks like a cow skull (with horns).

Tango