Holy Cross Wilderness Loop

Posted by: Dondo

Holy Cross Wilderness Loop - 09/13/09 05:10 PM

Check out my new trip report at Dondo Outdoors .
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Holy Cross Wilderness Loop - 09/14/09 10:31 AM

Dondo, I envy how much you get out. Great pictures. You have a good eye and great talent with a camera.

Re: Holy Cross Wilderness Loop - 09/15/09 08:10 PM

Thanks, finallyME. Back in March I set a goal to try to get out once a month. So far,so good . Problem is, I'm running short on vacation time. cry
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Holy Cross Wilderness Loop - 09/15/09 09:46 PM

Thanks for the pics, didn't get to look at all of them, computer is a little slow.

I'm like you, I have been out every month of the year at some time in the Sierra and this year the goal is to go out every month, at least three trips left.:)

How is your shelter for condensation when buttoned up tight? I was on an overnighter with a guy from a small group I belong to and he had what you had. I never thought I would want one and I don't own poles. I can't get my pack weight down much more, in at least the mid 20's for trip length you went on.

Re: Holy Cross Wilderness Loop - 09/16/09 09:52 PM

Hikerduane, glad to see I'm not the only one obsessed with getting out as much as possible. smile

You probably don't want to button the Silsheter up tight unless you have to. I learned this on the first couple of trips. Fortunately, there lots of options for ventilation. The whole shelter can be set up several inches off the ground. The rear center can be propped up one to two feet by using a guy and a stick. (Though not visible in the photos, that's what I did on all three nights of this trip.) One or both doors can be left open depending on conditions. But in some conditions, such as a humid environment and very still air, condensation is just going to happen, no matter what you do. If you go to the August archive on my blog, you can see the Golite poncho/tarp set up as a lean-to. Despite being open on most sides, I still got condensation when the wind died down. Fortunately, the Silshelter is large enough used as a solo shelter that condensation rarely becomes a problem.
Posted by: kevonionia

Re: Holy Cross Wilderness Loop - 09/22/09 01:28 AM

Dondo:

Yet another great report and pix. thanks