Is the High Country pathway good for backpacking

Posted by: Palmer

Is the High Country pathway good for backpacking - 05/12/09 09:00 PM

Hey, is the High Country Trail a good backpacking trail. It is in Northern Michigan about 20 miles Northeast of Gaylord, Michigan. How is the terrain? is it really hilly? is it hard to get lost? thanks a lot. I would also appreciate it if i could have some links to good informational websites with some pictures. thanks
Posted by: RogerB

Re: Is the High Country trail good for backpacking, MI - 05/13/09 04:49 PM

If your talking about the North Country trail, I'm actually planning a trip to hike a 20mile segment of it in a few weeks that runs on a ridge by the Mantistee river. The sections I'm looking at does go up and down allot of ravines, but from the guide I read about this section it is supposed to be a very nice and well marked trail.

Otherwise I've heard of the High Country Pathway but that is a 70mile loop. That one I don't know much about.
Posted by: GrumpyGord

Re: Is the High Country pathway good for backpacking - 05/14/09 06:20 AM

It is a nice 70 mile loop. There is a nice topo map and guidebook available from the Pigeon River Country Association. In the past there have been problems with loosing the trail where they have done some clearcuts and some confusion with horse trails in the area. Water is a little scarce in some areas. Lots of trip reports available with a Google search. It is not too strenuous but do not expect to have a blaze in view at all times. I have hiked it at least twice in four days.
Posted by: kev452

Re: Is the High Country pathway good for backpacking - 05/25/09 03:17 PM

Not the greatest but for the center of Michigan it is about as good as your are going to get. If you have the time to go out but not enough time to get to someplace special HCP is worth it.