denver to grand teton then to Yellowstone

Posted by: holtzy73

denver to grand teton then to Yellowstone - 02/17/09 04:30 PM

hello everyone

My friends and I will be taking a backpacking trip in early June. First flying into Denver then making our way to grand teton and then to Yellowstone. I have never backpacked grand teton or yellowstone. I was there probably 8 years ago just sightseeing. Looking for specific trails to take and also certain spots and trails on the way from denver to our destination that we should stop at.

Thanks Jake
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: denver to grand teton then to Yellowstone - 02/19/09 01:47 AM

Depending on what happens snow-wise for the rest of the winter and spring, you may not get very high until late in June. The high loop backpacking trips in Grand Teton (Cascade-Death Canyons and Cascade-Paintbrush Canyons) probably won't be melted out until mid-July. There are lots of dayhiking possibilities, though, in the lower canyons.

Check out the websites for Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks at nps.gov for trail information. You may also need to make reservations for backcountry campsites. Also google for trip reports and guidebooks for each of these parks. Yellowstone is at a lower altitude than the loop trails in the Tetons, so you'll have a better chance of relatively snow-free trails for backpacking there. Early June may be a bit too early, though.