Pemmican? I know this is a rehash of an older top

Posted by: toddfw2003

Pemmican? I know this is a rehash of an older top - 02/15/17 07:23 PM

How well does it really keep without adding prog powder ( Stuff that cures beef jerky)? I am spending two weeks in southern Utah in May and thought about giving this a try. I just dont understand how rendered beef fat with dried beef and berries wont spoil at room temps.

Worse thing in the world is getting the squirts in the backcountry
Posted by: wgiles

Re: Pemmican? I know this is a rehash of an older top - 02/15/17 08:50 PM

Jerky doesn't need Prague Powder or any other cure when it is dried properly. I overdry mine and have not had any problems with spoilage. Even so, it's a good idea to freeze homemade jerky for long term storage. The recommendations for wild game jerky call for drying at temperatures above 160 F and adding a cure to kill pathogenic bacteria. Real Pemmican appears to have been made with powdered jerky and fat. Fruit may have been added, but not usually. I have been tempted to make something like Tanka Bar, but have not yet done so. The idea was to mix meat and fruit, run it through the grinder with some seasonings, extrude it and dehydrate it. If I do make some, I will probably use Prague Powder or Morton Tender Quick in the mix to retard spoilage. I was planning to use venison, cranberries and cherries. If you look at a Tanka Bar package, you will see Celery Juice in the list of ingredients. Why? Celery Juice contains Nitrites, and is a cure. Using Celery Juice allows manufacturers to leave Nitrite off the list of ingredients.

http://ruhlman.com/2011/05/the-no-nitrites-added-hoax/
Posted by: toddfw2003

Re: Pemmican? I know this is a rehash of an older top - 02/15/17 10:23 PM

So i probably should use a little prague powder. I am going to make some for my utah trip. I think its about 150 cals per oz. Thats 2400 cals per pound. I dont think I would eat it all day though you could. would cut out the stove. Also if you cut it up in to pieces and saute it and put it over minute rice it may be pretty good
Posted by: wgiles

Re: Pemmican? I know this is a rehash of an older top - 02/16/17 08:08 AM

Be careful not to use too much. Morton's Tender Quick has less Nitrite than Prague Powder No. 1 (AKA Insta-Cure No. 1 or Cure No. 1) and may be easier to use in small batches. Prague Powder is 6.25% Sodium Nitrite and is way too concentrated to use directly. Tender Quick is 0.25% Sodium Nitrite and Morton has directions for use on the package. Prague Powder No. 2 contains Sodium Nitrate in addition to Sodium Nitrite and is intended to be used where there is a long curing time.