ever thought about powdered ensure plus

Posted by: toddfw2003

ever thought about powdered ensure plus - 01/15/17 08:10 PM

a 14 oz can of powdered ensure is only 8 bucks. Thats 2100 cals. Ditch the can though. Part of my backpacking experience is a hot meal in the evening. I have thought about using this until dinner. but you could use it all day long, get rid of the stove and you have lost some weight in your pack. I have a friend of mine who is a triple crowner. He said all he ate on all his through hikes was junk ( snickers and ramen) and didnt ever carry a stove
Posted by: aimless

Re: ever thought about powdered ensure plus - 01/16/17 12:07 AM

I have no particular thoughts about powdered ensure, other than it may become tiresome rather quickly if you rely on it too much. As for backpacking without a stove, there is a thread titled "go without a stove?" just a few notches below this thread in this Lite Food Talk forum. You could scan it for a variety of thoughts other members have shared on this subject in the recent past.
Posted by: GrumpyGord

Re: ever thought about powdered ensure plus - 01/16/17 06:11 AM

When my father was extremely ill one of the few things he could tolerate was ensure. They told him that Carnation instant breakfast with milk was the same thing. I have used the Carnation mixed with powdered milk as a backpacking breakfast in the past. Fast, light, nutritious and tastes OK.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: ever thought about powdered ensure plus - 01/16/17 11:42 PM

Originally Posted By toddfw2003
a 14 oz can of powdered ensure is only 8 bucks. Thats 2100 cals. Ditch the can though. Part of my backpacking experience is a hot meal in the evening. I have thought about using this until dinner. but you could use it all day long, get rid of the stove and you have lost some weight in your pack. I have a friend of mine who is a triple crowner. He said all he ate on all his through hikes was junk ( snickers and ramen) and didnt ever carry a stove

Ramen without a stove. That's different. Crunchy, too, I bet.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: ever thought about powdered ensure plus - 01/17/17 09:40 PM

Backpacking (for most of us) is a vacation! Personally, I want to eat real food, prepared to be as tasty as possible! I do this with home dehydrated one dish meals. No cooking, just rehydrating, is needed on the trail, because I did all the preparation the winter before. It's not really that hard!