Andouille Sausage

Posted by: Barefoot Friar

Andouille Sausage - 02/08/16 01:43 PM

Hi. Been away from the boards for a couple years for various reasons. Good to see you're all still here.

Does anyone know of a company that sells a backpacker friendly andouille sausage? The stuff in the grocery store all says to keep refrigerated. I've tried summer sausage, but for the recipe I've got it lacks something of the original.

Thanks!
Posted by: BZH

Re: Andouille Sausage - 02/08/16 06:47 PM

this guy:

http://rouxbdoo.blogspot.com/2009/11/andouille-sausage-in-laplace.html

says these guy's andouille ships well because it does not need to be refrigerated:

http://www.cajunsausage.com/

Andouille is a smoked sausage.... the reason our ancestors smoked it was to preserve it when there wasn't refrigeration. Sometimes companies say to refrigerate something because they are afraid of a lawsuit. Sometimes stores put non-perishable items in the refrigerator because people expect them to be there and are more likely to buy them if they are refrigerated (pre-cooked bacon). Of course, sometimes it is really important to refrigerate something. Figure out which is which can be a challenge.

If you are really concerned you could get tasso. Which if I understand it correctly is andouille turned into jerky. Might be the perfect thing for backpacking!

Re: Andouille Sausage - 02/09/16 08:24 AM

Oh, you are the very best! I'll be trying them out as soon as possible.

Thank you!
Posted by: bluefish

Re: Andouille Sausage - 02/09/16 10:18 AM

Thanks for the link, BZH. That looks very tasty. I like to make up a sort-of-like Shepards pie with instant mashed potatoes , dehydrated mushrooms, onions and corn, and some sausage. Some summer sausages are more like Spam than anything else, and those Andouille look like gourmet fixin's to me. I'm also trying to come up with a really good trail pasta dish, and the addition of some excellent sausage might be far easier (and tastier) than dehydrating some ground meat with the sauce.

Re: Andouille Sausage - 02/09/16 03:47 PM

I love gumbo and jambalaya, and with some real sausage now I can make something good enough to actually serve others.
Posted by: AlanL

Re: Andouille Sausage - 03/02/16 03:06 PM

It looks really good and I was going to order some. For Us postal service they wanted $18 plus the price of the sausage to ship to North Carolina. Roughly $30 for 1 pound! If I used 2 day delivery it was going to be $40. Yikes...