Backcountry Coffee - VIDEO

Posted by: theonecanoe

Backcountry Coffee - VIDEO - 05/12/13 08:47 AM

A lot of people just can't start their day without a good cup of coffee. When I'm away on an extended backcountry outing I usually just rely on instant coffee, like those Starbuks Via pouches or something similar. They pack small and light, but on a shorter trip where space or weight is not an issue I can take along various brewing devices. So, here's a little video of some of the methods that I employ to enjoy a fresh cup of java. How about everyone out there? How do you brew your coffee on the trail?

Cheers
Wayne laugh
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Backcountry Coffee - VIDEO - 05/12/13 05:51 PM

I usually skip coffee out on the trail; I eat a cold breakfast so I don't have to fire up the stove. If it's a really cold morning, I might have a cup of tea, but I usually do that only if I'm taking a rest day.

At home, though, I go all out, grinding my own beans fresh each morning and brewing them in a Bialetti Moka Express pot on top of my stove. I dilute the brew 50% with hot milk and enjoy!

I think that's why I don't miss coffee on the trail, because only fresh hot milk will do for my morning brew. I don't mind dried milk mixed with cold water for my cereal, but heated up it tastes horrible. YMMV, of course!

Directions for any French press I've ever used are to let the coffee brew several minutes before pushing down the filter.

If I really want to make coffee when camping, I'll do cowboy coffee!

Nice video; is that by chance around Lake Superior?
Posted by: Robotmoose

Re: Backcountry Coffee - VIDEO - 05/13/13 04:13 AM

I'm no coffee drinker myself, but I see those crystallized coffee products as being the most utilitarian: they rehydrate and produce coffee whether hot or cold.

I'm the first to love a good gourmet meal or two while out on the trail, but I still get a little weirded out by the folks lugging around Turkish coffee mills and French presses on the trail. (I have seen this a few times).
I also disagree with brining proper coffee coffee on the trail on the basis pack it in/pack it out philosophy. I will bet 1/3 of the people I've met with "backpacking french presses" leave behind a big, messy pile of grounds because they're "too heavy".
Posted by: lori

Re: Backcountry Coffee - VIDEO - 05/13/13 10:26 AM

Mt Hagen's instant organic coffee tastes better than Via, and it's cheaper.

Making coffee using grounds on the trail - naw. Some mornings I have tea. I love good fresh strong coffee, get the beans from a local roaster, use a press and enjoy that at home.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Backcountry Coffee - VIDEO - 05/13/13 05:18 PM

I like Mt. Hagen (a German brand) but have come to prefer Medaglia d'Oro instant espresso. It's available in every supermarket around here (I have to drive 30 miles RT to get Mt. Hagen). I use it when I'm traveling, but, as mentioned, not when backpacking nor at home.

I agree with coffee grounds (and tea leaves)--pack 'em out, heavy or not! At least tea bags are a lot easier to dry out!
Posted by: Robotmoose

Re: Backcountry Coffee - VIDEO - 05/14/13 02:57 AM

It's also worth mentioning that coffee grounds and tea leaves don't burn easily.
Partially burned teabags smell awful and make your pack reek too. I couldn't even imagine how horrible par-burned coffee grounds smell, too.
Posted by: Samoset

Re: Backcountry Coffee - VIDEO - 06/21/13 09:50 PM

Very nice video, well done