smoked salmon

Posted by: GNPjason

smoked salmon - 03/05/13 05:10 PM

I have a 24 oz smoked salmon fillet I want to take to Havasupai with me on a 5 day backpacking trip. All 24 oz are in one package. Anyone have any idea how long the salmon will last once I open it. Thanks...
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: smoked salmon - 03/05/13 05:18 PM

Depends on how hungry your hiking buddies are... smile

Sorry, I know that doesn't help. I just couldn't resist.
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: smoked salmon - 03/06/13 06:50 AM

Do I "know?" Sorry, no.

The package probably says "refrigerate after opening." I'd want to use it up that day, if possible. Two days might be OK, but fresh fish goes bad really quckly. Smoked? You may have more time. Often manufacturers are conservative in their estimates of any product's freshness. If I could manage it, I might open the package as close to the beginning of the trip as possible and repackge single servings into vacuum bags. That would be dicey still, but I'd consider it. I MIGHT even freeze the repackaged salmon and carry it as deep in my pack as possible for maximum insulation.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: smoked salmon - 03/06/13 12:21 PM

Does "might" mean that you'd pack along a couple of extra dried meals, just in case you were wrong?

Re: smoked salmon - 03/07/13 12:43 PM

Might means I won't tell someone else it is safe, so he should go for it.

I "might" try getting a second package of salmon and see how well a sample does on my counter at home when left to sit for 2-3 days. Smoked salmon is pretty expensive, so the idea won't fly for everyone.

I'm liking the repackage into vacuum bags and freeze, then use in 2 (maybe 3) days idea, better and better. Smoked salmon on crackers, smoked salmon in a creamy noodle dish, smoked salmon on a bagel with cream cheese (loks and bagels!), smoked salmon with sun dried tomatoes...
Posted by: GNPjason

Re: smoked salmon - 03/22/13 06:06 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I didn't end up taking the salmon. It was a 24 oz package and I didn't want to risk it going bad.

On a side note Havasupai was pretty awesome!!

Re: smoked salmon - 03/22/13 10:10 PM

I'm glad Havasupai worked out for you Enjoy the salmon. Hubby and I polished off a package in one night without any trouble...