TVP - how do you have to handle it?

Posted by: Steadman

TVP - how do you have to handle it? - 02/19/13 09:28 PM

All

I've never eaten TVP, but you all's conversations are encouraging me to try it for variety's sake - tuna get's old really quickly.

Once I break the TVP out of the package (into 4 ounce hunks), what do I need to do in order to prevent spoilage? Will it keep in plastic sandwich bags? If so, for how long?

Sincerely

Steadman
Posted by: Pika

Re: TVP - how do you have to handle it? - 02/20/13 07:00 AM

If I recall correctly, you can buy dried TVP in most health food stores. Bob's Red Mill sells it in one pound packages. If you are at all sensitive to glutamine (MSG), this is a good source of it.
Posted by: lori

Re: TVP - how do you have to handle it? - 02/20/13 09:44 AM

Dehydrated beef and dry salami would be more my variety. TVP is right up there with freeze dried eggs in the "flavorless" department....
Posted by: sarbar

Re: TVP - how do you have to handle it? - 02/22/13 12:46 AM

TVP lasts a looong time, if kept sealed. A year with no issues. When I used to use it, I would add 1 to 2 Tablespoon dry into my meals. to bulk it up.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: TVP - how do you have to handle it? - 02/22/13 05:28 PM

No problems here with TVP. Never had it spoiled if kept sealed from air and moisture. Like other "flavorless" items, such as tofu, it picks up the flavor of whatever you cook it with, preferably a well-seasoned mixture. I use it in spaghetti sauce at home. Definitely don't use it alone!