Paleo FBC Meals

Posted by: Hawke

Paleo FBC Meals - 08/25/12 09:10 PM

Hey all. I just thought I'd post this up for anyone who is interested. I started eating Paleo about 6 months ago, and I've been on a mission to create FBC meals that conform to my admittedly odd diet. I am about to embark on a couple of endeavors the next few weeks that required me to come up with 7 breakfasts & 7 dinners, so I figured it was as good a time as any to experiment with Paleo FBC meals. So without further ado:

Dinners:
Panang Curry Pork w/sweet potato
Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti w/sausage, ground beef, chantrelles, and parmesan cheese
Mashed sweet potatoes with either ground beef or white meat chicken, chantrelles, and butter

Breakfasts:
OvaEasy egg omelets w/mixed bell peppers, onions, garlic, pequins, and either bacon or sausage.

Not too shabby! Hopefully they're edible. I'm happy to give out the recipes if anyone is interested. I'll give some feedback after I see how they turn out.
Posted by: Abnrml1

Re: Paleo FBC Meals - 08/28/12 06:33 PM

Thanks for this. I started the Paleo 2 weeks ago. Not easy with the rest of the family eating all of the stuff that you can't.

You mentioned breakfast and dinners. What do you plan for lunches and snacks along the trail?

Re: Paleo FBC Meals - 08/28/12 08:03 PM

I've been eating paleo long enough that if I have two big meals a day, that's about all I need. I'm taking plenty of jerky, roasted almonds, some pemmican, fruit & nut bars (not totally paleo I know, depending, but I will likely need the change), mixed dried fruit.... This is a trial run for planning backpacking food down the road, so now is the time for me to work out the bugs, rather than doing it on the trail. smile
Posted by: Ewker

Re: Paleo FBC Meals - 08/29/12 09:08 AM

we are doing Paleo also but what makes it hard to follow what you can eat and not eat. Some folks say you can eat this while others say you can't.

In your dinner meal I notice there are certain items that are not considered Paleo like the butter and sweet potatoes (again it depends what some people say)

Re: Paleo FBC Meals - 08/29/12 10:49 AM

Yup. Paleo is all about how you personalize it. I'm not lactose intolerant, so I eat dairy. I'm a female, and so need more low GI carbs, like sweet potatoes.
Posted by: kenp

Re: Paleo FBC Meals - 09/06/12 06:31 PM

I'd be interested in the recipes if you find that they come out decent.

Re: Paleo FBC Meals - 09/20/12 03:21 PM

They all came out well, but I made all of them on a stove top. I have a second set of the meals that I'm going to try simply with boiling water & see how they come out. Kenp, do you want the recipes before or after I do that?
Posted by: hercdiver

Re: Paleo FBC Meals - 10/17/12 07:40 PM

Been eating Paleo for over a year now. Would love your recipes. I have been finding it hard to eat Paleo while on the trail.
The breakfast are pretty easy with dehydrated eggs and sausage. Lunch is pretty simple also with almonds and jerky. Dinner can be something else though. Thanks

Re: Paleo FBC Meals - 10/17/12 09:14 PM

For the curry, I peeled, cubed, and boiled enough sweet potatoes for 3 servings (I can't tell you how much this is-how much sweet potato do you eat in one sitting?), mashed them in my KitchenAid, using some of the leftover pot liquor to thin them a bit for good mashing. Then I divided it in thirds, and spread it on parchment paper about 1/8" thick. Then dehydrated it at 135 until it was crackly. Mine took about 10 hrs (I just left it go overnight. I bought Thai Red Curry Paste (I prefer Mae Plong brand), spread it out on parchment, and dehydrated it at the same time as the potatoes. When the paste was done, I ground it in my food processor. In a quart ziplock, I put one of the servings of potatoes, about 2T of the dried curry paste, about 1/4 c of coconut cream powder, and about 1/2 c of freeze dried pork sausage (from Honeyville).

For the mashed sweet potatoes, I did the same potato prep, put it in the quart bags with 1/2 c of either FD ground beef or chicken, 2T of butter powder, and some dried chantrelle mushrooms I got at Whole Foods. This one definitely needs at least salt/pepper to zest it up a bit.

For spaghetti, I baked a spaghetti squash whole, let it cool a bit, cut it in half, cleaned out the seeds, and spread the pulp on two dehydrator trays (I figured 1 serving for each half). I also dehydrated a jar of my favorite no meat spaghetti sauce (I find the serving ratio works best at about 1/3 jar a serving, but do what works) for about 10 hrs, until it's leathery. Put the squash & the sauce-leather in a ziplock along with 1/4C ea. of FD hamburger & sausage, & some more of the chantrelle mushrooms. Separately package some grated parmesan (I use little teeny ziplocks like you can get at a craft store), and voila!

I know these aren't very exact, but I hope it gives you some ideas. The freeze dried meats are expensive, but they are so easy and tasty, and have made more than enough servings to pay for themselves.
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: Paleo FBC Meals - 10/18/12 08:33 AM

Some more ideas that might fit into your diet-

"Chips" made from seedless cucumbers or zucchini. I put dehydrated zucchini (and/or spinach) into my spaghetti mixtures, but might eat cuke or zucchini "chips" with lunch. Sun dried tomatoes can be cut up and added to many meals or eaten with those cuke chips. To me, they round out beef or pepperoni and cheese sticks.

One of the backpacker cookbooks features my recipe for a “walking salad.” It is basically carrots, raisins, and applesauce, mixed together and dried in “patties” or small sheets. It can also be done with celery and even cabbage. Walnuts or almonds are a good addition. Pumpkin leather, canned pumpkin mixed 1:1 with applesauce and sweetened to taste, with or without nuts or pumpkin pie spice is a nutritious change of pace. Lately, I’ve been tossing chia seeds into many concoctions. If I want the leather to be more of a meal, I blend in silky tofu or yogurt for more protein. The latter may not cut it for a Paleo diet. Maybe cooked edamame would work for a vegetarian who wanted to move towards Paleo.