Optimus Crux Lite?

Posted by: jareed58

Optimus Crux Lite? - 08/21/12 08:13 PM

Just bought one of these for cooking on the trail, and this will be the first time using it. I read that it should take about 3 mins to boil 16 oz of water, I had 12 oz in a SS mug and it was over 10 min before it started the small bubbles before boiling. Do I need to turn the flames up higher, they were already coming up the sides. Any one with experience with these stoves, Help?
Posted by: BZH

Re: Optimus Crux Lite? - 08/22/12 11:22 AM

a) I hope this was a single walled mug and not an insulated double walled mug

b) reported boil times are most likely for having the stove on full blast

c) if the flame was engulfing your mug than the cup is probably too narrow for the stove. You probably need a wider cup to use the stove effectively.
Posted by: Werminator

Re: Optimus Crux Lite? - 02/09/14 04:49 PM

The first concern would be the type of mug you cooked in. Was it thick or double walled? I too have the Crux Lite but will be cooking in a Bugaboo backpacker pot which seems to be thin walled and likely to conduct heat pretty effectively. Also, cooking in a breezy location will KILL the effectiveness of your stove. Heat losses through convection around the sides and top of the container can put your stove at a significant disadvantage. When we use pack stoves we try to do so with some sort of barrier to cut down on breeze coming through. We usually look for a downed log or rock outcropping where we can be sure we have a durable wind break.