New (to me) mountain house "wrap" dinners.

Posted by: phat

New (to me) mountain house "wrap" dinners. - 06/20/12 10:29 PM

So before my last trip I noticed some new stuff from Mountain House at my local MEC.

they are advertised as a dehydrated meal that you can put in a wrap, and you bring your own tortillas. Since I like peanut butter tortillas (who doesn't) on the trail, it was a good enough excuse to try some..

I bought two. One was the "breakfast skillet" which takes 1.5 cups of boiling water to rehydrate, the other was the "chicken salad" which takes 1.5 cups of *cold* water. Each say to wrap them up, I judged about 4 tortillas per package and was about right.

I had the "breakfast skillet" before a hard long day, cooked in a *HOWLING* wind. I normally have mountain house eggs with instant potatoes or oatmeal. I didn't mind this one, but can't say it was one of my favorites - It would definately appeal, but I don't think it tasted as good as my "usual" egg trick of half a mountain house eggs, with half an idahoan package. It was quite *large* given that it made four reasonable size breakfast burritos - I had to give some away, couldn't eat it all.

I did the "chicken salad" with a friend after a very hard morning of snow postholing. while ok, it wasn't deli chicken salad, it tasted pretty darn good for something that did not require fuel to reheat. it made four good sized wraps (each in a 110 calorie flour tortilla around it) and we had two each - this pretty much amounted to a 500 calorie snack break, and with tea after our nice snow slog we dubbed this one of our more epicly nice "elevensies" we had had on a hike.

So, short answer, some of you may like the breakfast wrap stuff, wasn't my favorite, but I probably will buy the chicken salad one again - pretty good, and doesn't require fuel to make!
Posted by: Blue_Ridge_Ninja

Re: New (to me) mountain house "wrap" dinners. - 06/21/12 07:56 AM

Wish they made that without the bell peppers....ick. Otherwise it sounds pretty tasty.
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: New (to me) mountain house "wrap" dinners. - 06/21/12 11:15 AM

Has someone tried the buffalo chicken wrap from Mountain House? If you like wrap style food, check this out: http://www.packitgourmet.com/Bigun-Burrito.html

My buddy buys that a lot. He divides it up too. So, each time he spends $10.00 it last him two trips. That site has some other wrap style food. I may buy this soon and add some chicken to mine.
Posted by: sarbar

Re: New (to me) mountain house "wrap" dinners. - 06/21/12 04:04 PM

http://blog.trailcooking.com/2010/07/19/meal-review-mountain-house-wraps/ I thought I had done a review, and I had - back in summer of 2010 when they had just come out smile
Posted by: phat

Re: New (to me) mountain house "wrap" dinners. - 06/21/12 05:44 PM

Heh.. and the buffalo chicken one is the one I have *not* tried smile
Posted by: sarbar

Re: New (to me) mountain house "wrap" dinners. - 06/21/12 06:37 PM

My then 12 year old loved that one...but he is always hungry laugh
Posted by: lori

Re: New (to me) mountain house "wrap" dinners. - 06/22/12 12:42 AM

I didn't even make it to the content of the post before I did this: sick
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: New (to me) mountain house "wrap" dinners. - 06/22/12 12:55 PM

Me, too, Lori, can't stand the stuff! Just reading the ingredients is enough to make me sick!