dehydrated ingredients

Posted by: SC Forester

dehydrated ingredients - 05/12/12 09:01 PM

Does anybody know a place to buy small portions of dehydrated or freezed dried ingredients? I found a site once but was never to be seen agien.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: dehydrated ingredients - 05/12/12 11:15 PM

Google: Packit Gourmet, Just Tomatoes, Harmony House, Carolina Shelf Reliance. All these come in small as well as large packages. Packit Gourmet will even prepare your own custom meals if you want. There are others. Trailcooking.com has many sources (go to the very end of "Links and Resources") and lots of other information about preparing food for the trail, including lots of recipes using supermarket ingredients. You can also cook up and dehydrate your own stuff.

Many health food stores, including Whole Foods and some health food departments of Kroger and other supermarket chains carry small packages of the "Just Tomatoes" brand fruits and veggies. You can also find interesting stuff in the bulk bins there.
Posted by: SC Forester

Re: dehydrated ingredients - 05/12/12 11:33 PM

Thanks for the info. Packit Gourmet was just what I was looking for. I've been dehydrating my own foods but some things like butter and cheese seem best to buy.
Posted by: PerryMK

Re: dehydrated ingredients - 05/13/12 06:26 AM

A friend of mine orders from Beprepared.com and likes them. They have smaller portions but buying in bulk is of course much less expensive.

Here are the smaller portions you asked for: Dehydrated and Dry Foods in #10 Size
Posted by: Wasatch

Re: dehydrated ingredients - 07/29/12 04:27 AM

For butter I use Paragon Butter Flavored Seasoning Salt which costs $9 at Amazon for a huge 40 ounce bottle. It is a powdered yellow table salt, not crystals. The butter flavor is very good but too subtle (in other words the flavor is real butter tasting but weak). It's made for popcorn.

But not healthy salt like sea salt. I like it on freeze dried vegetables and soups mixes on the trail.