Nido

Posted by: Barefoot Friar

Nido - 03/11/12 08:03 PM

Ok, so I managed to score a whole can of Nido for free, through the food bank where I work. This is a picture of the can.

Will this work to make pudding in the back country, or do I need to get something else? For that matter, would regular powdered (skim) milk work? I don't want to drink it, just make the pudding.
Posted by: Pika

Re: Nido - 03/11/12 10:03 PM

In the past, I've made "instant" pudding with both Nido and standard non-fat dried milk. It turns out OK with both but is a bit richer with the Nido. When I took pudding along, I would mix the pudding mix and milk ahead of time and parcel it out into individual servings.
Posted by: lori

Re: Nido - 03/11/12 11:17 PM

Unlike the nonfat milk powder, Nido is actually drinkable... not the same as milk, but probably the closest you'll get to it in a powder. I make all backpacking meals with it.
Posted by: GrumpyGord

Re: Nido - 03/12/12 06:18 AM

I have used it that way in the past and it works well. I have also just used the non fat dry milk and in pudding etc and I cannot really tell the difference. The main problem that I have has is that I vac seal them and the Nido ends up being hard lumps so I have pudding and malted milk balls. It probably would not be a problem if I actually mixed them more thoroughly before sealing.
Posted by: Kent W

Re: Nido - 03/12/12 09:21 AM

I have been making instant pudding with powdered milk for a couple years. I used to use a empty peanut butter jar and shake it. I now just put it quart ziploc bag break up chunks before adding water then nead it in the bag. If ya get a chance grab a few extra little packets of granola from Mcdonalds. Its is excellent in chocolate pudding,as is crumbled oreos. add nilla wafer cookies to bannana pudding aftef mixing. I never have trouble giving leftovers away!