GORP!

Posted by: Barefoot Friar

GORP! - 02/19/12 01:56 PM

How much trail mix should I realistically be carrying for each day out? I keep coming home with leftovers, but I don't really know how to ration it. I'm going on a longer trip than normal in a few weeks, so I want to try to figure out a happy medium of so much per day. I realize that different people eat varying amounts, but is there a rule of thumb where I could begin figuring?
Posted by: aimless

Re: GORP! - 02/19/12 03:09 PM

It's too hard for anyone else to answer this question for you without knowing your calorie needs and your eating habits on the trail.

My only suggestion is for you to make your best guess about how much trail mix you normally eat in a day, just by eyeballing the volume you usually start with and removing the amount of leftover mix you usually come home with, then dividing by the number of days you were out hiking. This should at least get you in the correct neightborhood for the amount you consume in a day. I would then add one extra day's worth, for a margin of error.

Next, in order to avoid a repeat of this guesswork, buy a gram scale and start weighing these amounts, so you stop having to guess via eyeballing it. After a few trips of weighing and measuring, you'll have a very clear idea of how much you tend to need per day.
Posted by: Barefoot Friar

Re: GORP! - 02/19/12 03:30 PM

That makes sense.

Now why didn't I think of that? Lol. Thanks, Aimless.