Datrex?

Posted by: Merlyn

Datrex? - 11/22/11 06:22 PM

I've been looking online for a bit now, getting ideas for trail food, and found these things...

2400 or 3600 calories per package, broken into 200 calorie bars. The 2400 weighs a pound even.

I don't think I'd want to eat them all day every day, but...

Anyone tried them?

Merlyn
Posted by: aimless

Re: Datrex? - 11/22/11 07:02 PM

I've never heard of Datrex and can't comment about it (them?) directly, but I can say that 150 calories per ounce would be a pretty decent calorie density for something that resembled food, rather than resembling a stick of butter.

If you are just out for convenience, then food-bar types of things are pretty convenient. You unwrap them, chew and swallow, and your work is done! But if you prefer to put in a bit of work and thought regarding food, you can eat real food, get a similar calorie density, spend less, and have more variety.
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: Datrex? - 11/22/11 08:50 PM

I think that I will pass on this idea. Intended as survival food only. Not much for protein or vitamins. If you want just calories...

Here are the ingredients: Wheat Flour, Vegetable Shortening, Cane Sugar, Water, Coconut and Salt.

Looks like a cookie!

CamperMom
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: Datrex? - 11/23/11 08:52 AM

Never tried the Datrex or Mainstay food rations. For $8 you can get one 3600 calorie package and try them out. That's 450 calories per $. They got reviews on line too...but I would try them both out yourself. Its coconut vs lemon flavor basically.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Datrex? - 11/23/11 09:39 AM

Well, I've tried them. I can buy them at local stores. Usually the 3600 calories packs are around $7.
3600 pack
I also like to get the one that are a third of that (or equivalent to one meal, 1200 cal).
1200 package
As for calorie density, the 3600 packs are about 1.5 lbs, so it lines up with the normal target range of backpacking food.
I also have bought the Datrex bars. But, I have only tried the Mainstays and another brand that I can't remember. The Mainstay brand was better tasting. I haven't tasted the Datrex ones yet.
The two times I ate a Mainstay bar was at home, and once for breakfast whilst backpacking. I wanted to see it if had enough calories for me for the meal (I tried the 1200 calorie pack). The 1200 pack is split into three cookies. The first cookie was easy to eat, but the last one was hard to force down. It wasn't that it was gross, just really boring. However, I think the calorie amount was adequate, and it gave me enough energy to last till lunch time without feeling depleted.
For backpacking, there is a place for these types of foods. I will usually take a 1200 packet and just keep it in my pack for an emergency extra. I can also see someone using a 1200 pack as a meal addition. You take a third of it and add it to each meal. But it is all subject to the individual, and individual taste, and individual circumstances.