Kikkoman Miso Soup

Posted by: wandering_daisy

Kikkoman Miso Soup - 09/09/11 12:16 PM

My backpack favorite just got more exensive! For several years I have bought this at WalMart- my local store just quit carrying it! They sold it for $2 a 3-packet; other stores charge nearly $4 for the same. Sad, sad. I looked on the internet and it is just under $3 plus shipping. Ironic thing is that there is a HUGE Kikkoman factory just a few miles from my house! I am now wondering if it is just absent from my local WalMart store, or has WalMart totally quite offering it?
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Kikkoman Miso Soup - 09/09/11 12:43 PM

We live near a Japanese grocery store that stocks tons of instant miso soups, most of which are far tastier than Kikkoman. The key, near as I can tell, is to opt for soups that have a separate miso paste packet, rather than powdered. Wally is unlikely to be much help there.

Good hunting,

Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
My backpack favorite just got more exensive! For several years I have bought this at WalMart- my local store just quit carrying it! They sold it for $2 a 3-packet; other stores charge nearly $4 for the same. Sad, sad. I looked on the internet and it is just under $3 plus shipping. Ironic thing is that there is a HUGE Kikkoman factory just a few miles from my house! I am now wondering if it is just absent from my local WalMart store, or has WalMart totally quite offering it?
Posted by: james__12345

Re: Kikkoman Miso Soup - 09/09/11 01:07 PM

It's very likely its just your local store. Walmart varys ALOT store to store in what they carry. There are many things (especially in sporting goods in my experience) that some stores carry and others, sometimes even just a few miles away, dont carry. For example, the one in Algood didn't carry ANY of the seasonal flyfishing stuff this year. The Cookeville store (same county, probably 5-10 mins away) had an ok selection. The store in Johnson City (about 3 and a half hours away, where my girlfriend is in school) has a better selection of flyfishing stuff than several sporting goods stores I've been in. I would check some of the other stores around you before you give up.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Kikkoman Miso Soup - 09/09/11 03:30 PM

We're huge fans of this stuff, too, Daisy. And there are few food items that are so good for you after a few hours on the trail. A great way to re-hydrate!

Luckily, we have a store nearby that carries them...
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Kikkoman Miso Soup - 09/14/11 02:21 PM

try another walmart. Look for one in a more diverse neighborhood, maybe with a larger Asian population. Walmart seems to cater to the needs of the neighborhood. Or, try a Winco, of they have one in your state.