Uncle Ben's Ready Rice

Posted by: Ulhiker

Uncle Ben's Ready Rice - 07/30/10 10:42 PM

I tried to search for this subject, but couldn't find it, so I apologize if this has been asked before.
Has anyone tried this as an FBC? If so, what's the best way to fix this?
Thanks,
OZ
Posted by: Roocketman

Re: Uncle Ben's Ready Rice - 07/31/10 09:06 AM

I wouldn't carry this "ready rice", because I try never to carry much food containing water. Meat in foil packs is one exception.

This rice is marketed for "microwave convenience" with just 90 seconds of heating in a microwave.

You could dehydrate it at home, and rehydrate it as if it were an instant rice that you were cooking FBC style. But, then the Instant Uncle Ben's Rice might do just as well.

If you poured boiling water into it, you would make "soup". If you dunked the packet in boiling water, you would warm it enough to eat it.
Posted by: sarbar

Re: Uncle Ben's Ready Rice - 07/31/10 11:57 AM

Tort packaging can be floated unopened in hot water to heat up. No mess cleanup but you do need a large enough pot to bring at least 4 cups water to a boil. Then you can pop it in and let it sit covered for 15 or so minutes.
Posted by: Ulhiker

Re: Uncle Ben's Ready Rice - 07/31/10 12:19 PM

Thanks, Rocketman and Sarbar:
I thought there was a way to do it, but just wasn't sure. Don't know if I want to carry that big of a pot. I'll probably just stick with instant rice.
Thanks again,
OZ