Any Vegan, RAVE, McDougall/Fuhrman etc people?

Posted by: CamelMan

Any Vegan, RAVE, McDougall/Fuhrman etc people? - 06/11/10 09:48 PM

Hi,

I'm pretty new to this board and was wondering if there are any other backpackers out there following a low-fat, unprocessed, and/or vegan diet out there? Maybe we could share tips or something? There doesn't seem to be many of these people in the hiking community. In fact I haven't met any yet...

Thanks,
Camel Man
Posted by: sarbar

Re: Any Vegan, RAVE, McDougall/Fuhrman etc people? - 06/14/10 11:04 AM

There are plenty of vegan hikers that I have met. Whether or not they go the unprocessed/lf route is up to them. For example....at home we eat lower fat but there is no way I can do that while hiking. We eat a mostly unprocessed diet but are not vegan.
Posted by: thecook

Re: Any Vegan, RAVE, McDougall/Fuhrman etc people? - 06/15/10 11:06 PM

Not vegan but tend to eat vegetarian a bit because I like the food. Not completely unprocessed but tend to eat that way because it is cheaper and tastes better. Can't cook that way totally on the trail but tend to actually cook, not rehydrate, from basics like rice and oatmeal.

Re: Any Vegan, RAVE, McDougall/Fuhrman etc people? - 06/16/10 08:03 PM

I definitely make compromises by using instant stuff, but I recently got a dehydrator and it's great to pack some veggies. A whole bag of spinach dehydrates to practically nothing. It takes more fuel to cook from scratch but I'm willing to carry it.

The low cost of whole, veggie food is definitely a bonus. A meal or two at even a cheap restaurant will be equal to a camping fee or the gas to get out there and not be very healthy. Instant food like Mtn House is, what, like $5 or $6 for 2 servings (I've seen it at $7.99!) that are actually 1 serving, versus $1 for a bag of lentils and some spices that you can buy anywhere, will last for three meals, produce less trash, and make your pack feel significantly lighter every day.

--camelman

Re: Any Vegan, RAVE, McDougall/Fuhrman etc people? - 06/16/10 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By sarbar
There are plenty of vegan hikers that I have met. Whether or not they go the unprocessed/lf route is up to them. For example....at home we eat lower fat but there is no way I can do that while hiking. We eat a mostly unprocessed diet but are not vegan.

That's something I've thought about--how sustainable a low-fat diet would be with heavy hiking. On the AT I was dropping weight very fast. (I've regained it all by falling off the wagon after the trip, unfortunately.) That's not a bad thing for me right now, but eventually I might have needed to add in more calorie-dense foods like nuts or oils. I would think though that if I less fat on my body, the extra would just be burned for energy, and if I wasn't eating a lot of saturated fat my cholesterol wouldn't suffer.

--camelman
Posted by: sarbar

Re: Any Vegan, RAVE, McDougall/Fuhrman etc people? - 06/17/10 02:05 PM

You want pricey? Mary Jane has a new line of organic beef meals....try $13.50 for ONE meal shocked